Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 1999
Ntozake Shange's "For Colored girls..." is a gripping collection of poems about life, love, pain and hope that will tell YOUR story if you can't find the words. I have had the honor to read and perform this treasure of poems many times and I still can't get enough of it. It will take any reader on a trip into understanding, sisterhood and hope, as well as letting them know that they are not alone. This book is truly for ALL girls who have "considered suicide" when the world was too much, but decided on LIFE.
on 9 February 2010
Even though I did not share the experience of the characters, the language was so alive that I yearned to climb into their skins and burst onto the stage. The poetry was real. It was not convoluted; the meaning was not hidden behind fancy words and that is why I loved it so much I had to read it twice in one sitting. And yes, I cried as well because some lines and situations were awfully intense; and there were those other lines, where I felt that I had not read the poem but the had poem read me.

Well done Ntozake - a woman who comes with her own things! I was inspired because as a poet, you know your audience and you have your own unique style which has made you an icon in my eyes. I am now looking forward to reading Nappy Edges.
on 7 June 2013
An Emotional poetic recording.

I bought it after a friend loaned me the movie.

I have to say the recording has more depth to it. It was a little hard to take at times, (some strong language) but I soon got addicted to it.

At the time I purchased it I promoted it so much people must have thought I had shares lol.

I work with ladies with mental health issues and the ones that could take it on board I suggested it to them; After preparation, We listened together. They too found it enlightening and encouraging.
on 2 February 1999
This book is about African American women, but it would be helpful to women of any race. It adresses problems from everyday life. It shows how different ethnic backgrounds view men and their dreams.The story shows ups and downs of the author's life. It also shows how women can keep on striving and keep their goals in sight. Read this book for your own good, and for your own insight into life. You will find that you are not the only one who has survived certain unhappy situations.
on 20 April 1999
On 4/17/99 I was privileged to see a production of Ms. Shange's opus at Manhattanville College, bringing to life the lyrical intensity of her poetry. Though I read it while I was in college, seeing it live imbued it with greater meaning and helped me to gain true respect for the writer's extraordinary insight.
on 3 June 1998
I could really relate in some of the poems. I have experienced some of the hard times a and the good times of some of the ladies in this book. I hope Ntozake Shange comes out with more books like this. comments for a colored girl who has thought of suicide. 15yrs old
on 28 November 2015
Don't be put off by the 'odd' title - brilliant piece of poetic prose (if I could call it that...?) that is so about relationships, love, loss, social expectations and a great message for women in a continuing patriarchal society that, unfortunately, is still learning in baby steps.
on 27 October 1998
Shange's book voiced many of the feelings that I have experienced, especially the poem by the lady in red on page 13-14. As soon as I read that particular poem I knew I would do my oral report on it. I have lived that experience that the lady in red talked about. I felt good that I wasn't alone; and the poem expressed my feelings more clearly than I might have been able to.
on 22 April 2013
Such a powerful and moving collaboration of poems. would definitely recommend to anyone who is interested. Much better than the film too!
on 2 April 2013
Great book, highly recommend it to anyone before you watch the film - I found I enjoyed the film much more after I had read it.