5.0 out of 5 stars A Guide for all teachers.
Published on 9 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars a little trite and one major omission but on the right track
This is a very interesting book giving a new insight as to why some children find it harder to learn than others.
I certainly could see my child in the examples he used and hope to try some of the exercise in the book to help him.
Published on 9 Jan 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guide for all teachers., 9 May 1999
By A Customer
I thought my child was learning disabled. This book proved that she is merely a right-brained visual learner. She is also ADHD and gifted. I couldn't understand why she had so much trouble with phonics and spelling. I've teased her that she has a teflon brain because some things just don't stick. Every week I help her with spelling using the visual method described in the book. She often makes A's depending on how much she practices. It's the only method that works for her. I also used the shortened version of teaching her long division and it worked like a miracle. Her teacher read the book and started making comments that she could add in her head much better than some of the others. This comment and other similar ones tremendously boosted her self-esteem. I am a teacher of gifted students also. This helped me understand many of my students that I thought were borderline ADHD. One parent was certain her child was dyslexic. After screening the child for dyslexia I finally proved to her that he is just right-brained. She was a little annoyed with me for teaching him how to spell backwards because now he spells much better backwards! She must think I put a real "spell" on him! I can't thank Dr. Freed enough for finally explaining why my so called "gifted" child couldn't spell simple words. He also made the connection of gifted and ADHD that I felt existed but couldn't prove or explain. I now understand the difference between gifted, ADHD, dyslexic, and right-brained children. I would like a sequel to the book because I've referred to it for other math problems but there was none. This book should be a requirement for ALL teachers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated with you child's school system? Read this Book!, 10 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I have two boys--both are wonderful, yet both had difficulty with school. This book reveals that today's teaching methods may be(and are) 50 years out of date. It gives concrete ideas and methods that really will help your child feel successful. Schools often make your child feel like a failure. My eldest son had a hard time with spelling--after trying one of the examples with my son--he looked over the spelling list, turned it over in less than 30 seconds, and was then able to spell all words both foward and backwards--plus he knew all the definitions! He commented to me "Mom, am I a genius?" This was the breakthrough I needed to take this information to the schools. It gave me the tools to share with the school and show them what my son needed to be successful.
I believe in this book so much I buy all of my children's teachers an edition at Christmas! Some teachers "get it" some don't get the content but, it does stir up some conversation. I believe it is also worth sharing this book with school principal and superintendent as well.
AND JEFFERY--if you are out there--let's develop a school using your methods as a model! You are AWESOME! Thank you!

3.0 out of 5 stars a little trite and one major omission but on the right track, 9 Jan 2003
By A Customer
But on the negative side I found some of the examples used just a little too convienent ie: too good to be true, but my major problem with the book was that he failed to mention the use of essential fatty acid supplementation in ADHD children, even though he had a chapter on foods & additives etc.
The use of Essential FAtty Acid supplementaion originally introduced by Dr. Jacqueline Stordy, has been extensively researched by Oxford University in the UK and Purdue University in USA and found to be very effective in helping such children and for the author not to include such vital information is a glaring omission.
However I would recomend this book to other parents and teachers to read as it does contain some useful information, but to be mindful that there are other avenues to explore to help your children that are not included in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars new kids need new teaching, 28 April 1999
By A Customer
I was heartened after reading this book. I know my daughter is smart and she draws beautifully and makes amazing connections of information, but she is terribly distractible, turns upside down and has crying fits or rages if she cannot perform perfectly. She recently came home stating that she hated school. I was heartbroken, she is in kindergarten, you shouldn't hate school in kindergarten. This book helped me help her better and I hope to lend it to teachers and others. I have seen many kids that this fits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, enlightening book for parents AND teachers!, 23 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World: Unlocking the Potential of Your Add Child (Hardcover)
Hallelujah! I understand my daughter better after reading RIGHT BRAINED CHILDREN... An easy read, too, with many practical, creative ideas of how to help equip my child to adapt to her varied learning environments! It gave us as parents confidence... and wow did it give our daughter confidence!!! I wish all teachers were required to read it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlocks the mystery of the innovative, intuitive dreamers..., 20 Jun 1998
By A Customer
Finally, a concise, innovative, and successful method for unlocking the potential of the creative, unconventional learner! I recommend this book to all parents and educators who want to gain an understanding of a child or teen who is often described in pejorative terms by some, and in glowing terms by others... chances are good that that learner has a "right-brained learning style".

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever read on add/should be required by all in teaching, 1 Oct 1998
By A Customer
I have never read a better book on add and adhd. my son has struggled with add all through school, but because he was not hyper (adhd) well behaved and never drew attention he was one of the thousands that slipped through the cracks of the system. we finally, with our own money (about $5000) found out his problem, and he is learning, but it has been a long, hard struggle. this book is so on target with these children. The problem isn't that these children can't learn, but that they learn in a different way. not a wrong way, just different. it should be required reading before a teacher is allowed to teach. every year i struggle through the process of visting teachers over and over to make sure my child is learning at grade level, and explaning his way of learning and what i need from them. i shouldn't have to do this. as much money as i pay in taxes my child should be getting the help he needs, but they can't provide it becasue they don't teach in a way these children can learn. great, great book..any parent struggling through add/adhd with a child must read it. not only does it pinpoint the problem, but makes you feel great about your child and his/her ability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Mar 1998
By A Customer
As a foster parent who teaches left brain/right brain theory to other foster parents, this books makes great sense. For several years, I have been saying that the information I have read about right brains (and experienced since my husband is right brained) and ADHD were too similar to ignore. Now Mr. Freed confirms what many of us has suspected: our ADHD youngster is smart, creative, and emotional. Thanks for pulling it all together

1.0 out of 5 stars no scientific evidence, 26 July 2011
J. Skillen (UK) - See all my reviews
I was very disappointed in this book. There is no scientific evidence to back up his ideas, and some of them are not backed up by modern neuroscience. I would not recommend this book to anyone that actually wants to understand their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for anyone who has a child with ADD / ADHD, 3 Nov 2010
The book is easy to read and understand. It's filled with useful and informative information that I found helpful from the first 2 chapters. I recommend this for any parent that has a child with ADD / ADHD or a learning problem.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›