5.0 out of 5 stars Shows the reader how to see the spiritual side of life., 22 Jan. 1998
By A Customer
Oprah said, "I keep Spiritual Literacy right on my bedside table. I love this book!" when she introduced the segment devoted to it on her show last year.
Well, I beat her to it. I fell in love with the uncorrected advance proof which landed on my editor's desk because the Brussats are regular columnists for the magazine I work for, The Lutheran. It wonderfully teaches the reader how to see the spirituality already present in each of our daily lives--if only we know what to look for. That's given in a primer of spiritual literacy, from A for attention, B for beauty and C for connections straight through to X for the mystery, Y for yearning and Z for zeal. You don't have to retreat from the mundane to find spiritual truth. You have, rather, to plumb it.
My copy of Spiritual Literacy still sits on my bookshelf headboard. This is a book to last a lifetime.
And a marvelous bonus: Among the 600 some excerpts and passages you find authors that are old friends and are introduced to others destined to become new teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Life, 26 July 2004
Amazon Customer (Tweed Heads, New South Wales, AU) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life (Paperback)
This is a marvellously uplifting, intelligent and practical book.
It is well-organised under themes of universal interest and provides a range of extraordinary and spiritual truths often within stories of the most ordinary and everyday experiences and realities.
If you had to flee your house and there was time to take only a single book - this is one such book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 20 Oct. 2008
I read this book when I was homeless after the break-up of my marriage. It was reading this that kept me going. I left it behind when I moved on, only to find several years later, a friend I met on the road arrive back in my life with said book in his rucksack with my signature on the inside cover. "here mate you forgot this." It now has a special place on my bookcase....A must read for those on the Solo Spiritual Path. x

Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life by Mary Ann Brussat (Paperback - 1 Aug. 1998)