5.0 out of 5 stars Has there been a better science writer?, 28 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Other Worlds (Hardcover)
Finally. Somebody who knows how to write about complex scientific issues in a way that even scientifically-challenged readers like myself can understand. Mr. Lemonick knows how to make science interesting and fun. As a college student who spends most of her time doing required reading, it's seldom that I read a science book unless it's assigned. But this book caught my eye as I walked past it. The more of it I read, the less I was able to put it down and had to buy it. Great, great book! (And wow... smashing cover, I might add. Way, way cool.) Oprah... if you're out there... you've got to get this guy on your show. I know you're hung up on the "feelings thing" but aliens have feelings too you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Process of Discovery: Struggle and Success, 10 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Other Worlds (Hardcover)
Are Earth-like planets a rarity in the universe? Is our Solar System, with its 9 peaceful planets in circular orbits, some fluke or a godsend among the 100 billion stars in our Milky Way Galaxy? Is intelligent life in the universe such a rarity that we may be cosmically alone?
Mike Lemonick has produced a book that is exquisitely accurate and humanly compelling about the discovery of alien worlds around other stars. The book captures the difficulties of forging ahead toward new scientific techniques that often lead to failures. But in this case, Lemonick describes how several astronomers worldwide pushed forward despite those obstacles. Ultimately, these astronomers captured the most sought-after discovery in astronomy: the first true New Worlds, outside our Solar System.
Lemonick reveals the quirky personalities of the astronomers who made the 10-year trek toward these discoveries. Along the way, this book describes the chances that Earth-like planets may lead to life elsewhere in the universe. The book beautifully explains the ultimate human exploration: travelling to the new worlds in search of our biological roots out among the stars.
This book is a great read, and will stand as a historical benchmark about a great moment in scientific discovery.

Other Worlds
Other Worlds by Michael D. Lemonick (Hardcover - 25 May 1998)
Used & New from: 0.28