5.0 out of 5 stars Stopped Me in My Tracks, 2 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
After reading this essay, I was convicted beyond imagination as to my responsibility as a school teacher. As Lewis says, there are no ordinary people, everyone I come in contact with is a eternal being who is on the path to either heaven or hell. Everything I do in the classroom is pointing my students either towards God or away from Him. And that, as Lewis states, is the Weight of Glory.
Lewis describes glory as not in being noticed by others and seeking their approval, but being noticed by God. To hear that blessed phrase "Well done my good and faithful servant". Not just in seeing God's beauty, but passing into it and being a part of it. The weight of it is my responsibility to bear witness of that glory to others and help to bring them into it. Their salvation is my weight, my burden to bear. Isn't that the reason why believers are on this earth? To honor God, and to serve Him?
Lewis is the master of imagery. He brings his readers to an either/or proposition. Either I am going to take responsibility for my neighbors salvation, or I am not. And once he gets you to that point, there is really no decision to make. Your neighbor's soul is your responsibility.
This essay, more than anything I have read to date, has brought me to the realization as to what my responsibility as a Believer is. I need to read this at least once a month to remind me of how I should be living my life before others. No Christian should go without experiencing this challenge to holiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Weight of Glory" should be required reading., 21 July 1999
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
The most thought provoking part of this book is "The Weight of Glory". It caused me to really think about some of my assumptions of my faith and come out with new insights. Lewis at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nine speeches of C.S. Lewis, 17 Feb 1998
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
Many of these nine speeches were originally delivered as sermons, including the masterpiece THE WEIGHT OF GLORY. This collection deserves a rating of 10+ and is among the very best of what Lewis ever wrote. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply Insightful, 21 Jan 1999
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
C.S. Lewis has a knowledge and comprehension of christianity that is unparalleled by other contemporary christian authors. His laconic, yet deeply insightful commentaries on the fundamentals of eternal glory can only be described as "inspired."

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Essay I've Ever Read, 28 July 1998
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
Can't speak to the rest of the book, but the essay THE WEIGHT OF GLORY is purely edifying, greater than any other 20th century work I know of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reality of life issues, 17 May 2009
I love the book, i want to read it over and over. This man, C.S. Lewis speaks from his heart and its like he is there right where the book is chatting with you. Its a book for all seasons.
The seller was also prompt in delivery and i do appreciate that. Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 19 April 1998
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
WEIGHT OF GLORY may be the greatest essay ever written. Stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't overlook Lewis' essay on "The Inner Ring.", 5 Dec 1998
This review is from: The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses (Paperback)
"The Weight of Glory", "Transposition", and other essays in this volume have been warmly received in the years since they were first preached. "The Inner Ring," by contrast, is less often cited. This is a pity, since "of all passions the passion for the Inner Ring is most skillful in making a man who is not yet a very bad man do very bad things."
It is a frightening picture of ambition twisted and run amok, destroying the human person whom it infests. "Aristotle placed [friendship] among the virtues. It causes perhaps half of all the happiness in the world, and no Inner Ringer can ever have it."

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic, 1 Dec 2013
Just the introduction alone has given me an insight into C.S.Lewis personality as well as his relationship with God, an inspiring read

ARRAY(0xaa481ce4)

The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses
The Weight of Glory and Other Addresses by C. S. Lewis (Paperback - 1 Jun 1996)
Used & New from: 10.30