on 14 January 2014
This book gives many fascinating and little-known facts and anecdotes. It makes both of the Roosevelts come alive as real people, not just figures in history.
on 24 November 1998
I found this to be a most refreshing addition to the morass of biographies on FDR. Ms. Goodwin weaves an interesting mosiac of the complicated relationships that existed in the Roosevelt White House. Contrasting these against the players in the current presidental scandal affords the reader with no small degree of credilbe perspective. I would recommend this study to anyone interested in the first modern presidency or to those who might enjoy an intellectual but not academically rigorous look at this truly fascinating couple.
on 21 April 2014
Written with attention to detail; countless interviews; with empathy and understanding; highly readable writing style. Superb narrative history. Only reservation: Perhaps too little credit to other nations fighting the Nazis. She attributes the WW2 victory almost entirely to Roosevelt's belief in America as the great arsenal of democracy with unlimited productive capacity without which surely the Nazis would have taken over the world. But a worthy winner of the Pulitzer.
on 4 February 2015
Doris Kearns Goodwin is a brílliant, prize-winning, political biographer. Ordering a vast body of information expertly, she also has the gifts of brilliant analysis, scrupulous research and sheer readability. This is the third of her political biographies that we have read (following Lincoln and Lyndon B Johnson). All are equally brilliant.
on 28 July 2014
A unique insight into The White House, and the amazing personalities who occupied it at an extraordinary time. All Doris Kearns Goodwin's books are excellent, I really recommend Team of Rivals, which is about Lincoln. Most people agree it's probably the best political biography ever written.
on 22 March 2014
ONLY A 'SHORT' BOOK' AS REGARDS MOST OF THE BOOKS I LOVE TO READ, BY SHORT,I MEAN NOT A LOT OF PAGES, I LOVE A GOOD THICK TOME BUT THE CONTENTS OF THIS BOOK WAS WELL WRITTEN AND INTERESTING AND I ENJOYED READING IT.
on 1 November 1997
Doris Kearns Goodwin is a master at mixing endless historical facts with fascinating personal insites into this former president and his wife. It is not a book to be read in a weekend but realished over many weeks. There is so much to absorb and learn about the people and events that shaped that corner of history. I was fascinated to learn about certain pieces of WWII and what this country accomplished during that time. I am not a history buff by any means but find myself enjoying history as Goodwin has a way of making you feel as though you were there. I highly recommend it! I am already knee deep in her book about the Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys.
on 23 February 2012
A brilliant and fascinating account of FDR's and Eleanor's lives and interaction during the early 40's, set into the context of US politics and the protagonists' backgrounds. Even better than 'Team of rivals'
on 29 July 1999
I HAVE READ ALL I CAN ABOUT ELEANOR ROOSEVELT, SHE IS MY HERO, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I READ ABOUT THEM TOGETHER, AND IT WAS JUST GREAT, I WAS RIGHT THERE WITH THEM THRU THE WHOLE BOOK, IF I COULD TALK TO ANY ONE WHO HAS PASSED, SHE WOULD BE ONE OF THEM, SHE IS LOVED BY ME THIS VERY DAY AND I SHARE HER WITH MY CLOSEST FRIENDS. I WILL READ THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN.
on 27 February 2014
Doris Kearns Goodwin is such a marvellous historian and good solid writer. This book is no exception to her usual mark of quality and surprise.