5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY COMPLETE Book on ADD!!!
Published on 1 Sep 2004 by Imperial Topaz

2.0 out of 5 stars Driven to Distraction
The book is old and yellowed. Condition not as good as described.

Too much money for a book in that condition
Published 9 months ago by Hazel Cotton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY COMPLETE Book on ADD!!!, 1 Sep 2004
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood (Paperback)
I was so glad to have found this book, written by a doctor, who himself, has ADD. Not only does he explain it really well, but he goes through all of the possible other diagnoses that can be confused, or mixed up with, ADD. He discusses all medical AND non-medical strategies to treat ADD, and winds up with the precise information to gather together before going to a doctor, to make your visit more productive. The writing style is comfortable, and easy to read, with many true-life examples of various people.
I have a daughter who I am now sure has ADD, and NOW I finally know how to go about helping her! If you, or anyone in your family, has ADD, or even SUSPECT that they do, this is DEFINITELY the book for you. I cannot imagine that there is any better, or more complete, book out there on this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superbly balanced and rigorous text for all readers, 7 Mar 1998
By A Customer
Whether lay public or professionals in the field, this is the best book you'll find on Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). I treat patients who have ADD; many come bearing a well-marked copy of this book to say they've found themselves in it. To the others, I routinely recommend they read it before we finalize the diagnosis or decide on treatment. The tone throughout is rigorously scientific yet informal, relatively free of jargon, approachable by anyone with a high school education, and very supportive to the sufferer without being patronizing. It contains no propaganda, a rare virtue in books about ADD. Although written by physicians (who themselves are sufferers), it does not shill for medication management at the expense of alternative treatments that have been scientifically validated as effective. This is the ideal book for sufferers and their families, for teachers and those who evaluate the learning problems of children and adults, and for all health care providers. For those who find it hard to read, another book by these authors, Answers to Distraction, is written in an easier, sound bite format. Both books are available on audiotape, often the best way for the ADDers to "read".
-Phil Torrance MD (Diplomate in Psychiatry)

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to get my partner a diagnosis, 4 Sep 2010
M. L. Hobson "book lover" (Sheffield UK) - See all my reviews
6 years ago I started work at a specialist school for children, mainly boys with ADHD.

18 months ago I met my partner and we fell in love.

12 months ago we moved in together.

9 weeks ago I ended it as I couldn't cope with his behaviour anymore. Why does he treat me like this? Why doesn't her care? Why doesn't he show emotion? Why can't he love me the way a normal person does?

Due to the nature of my work i'd always felt he was very similar to the children and I would joke about it... I did however feel like i was constantly at work. We had some of the best times together, the highs were amazing, the lows were terrible.

It was only when i stepped away from the relationship i really felt "he's not just a horrible person, he's got ADHD"
I looked through his school reports to find "scatty, can't concentrate, can't sit still, naughty, hyperactive, unable to focus" and my heart stopped for him, he'd been missed, but in the 80's children wern't diagnosed with adhd, they were labelled naughty and hyperactive.

I sat down with him and told him what i felt and he agreed to see the GP. We went together and got a referral to adult ADHD services.
Last week we got a cancellation appointment and within the hour the psychiatrist had diagnosed him; I feel immense relief, he feels indifferent.
He commences on a trial of Ritalin next week and I truly hope his next 37 years will be better than the last. For us, i'm not sure what the future holds?

Why have I written the above? As a partner of an adult with ADHD i felt like i was going crazy, I searched for books, answers and there wern't many, adult adhd services need to be improved.
This books gave me better insight into the adult world of ADHD and I learnt some new things and answers as to why he did the things he did.
Hyper-foccusing was something i can now identify with and understand why after feeling so special and loved by him for the first 6 months, it was like one day he'd been abducted by aliens!? He hadn't stopped loving me, I just wasn't his obsession anymore. I have felt rejected by him for a long time, unloved and now understand why. It doesn't make the feelings of rejection any easier but understanding it helps.

For anyone else in my position, stay strong, read this book, look at the checklist of symptoms and go to the GP if you think it is ADHD.
I started out thinking he was just the 'B' word, then i thought he may be a sociopath but now I know that I fell in love with someone with ADHD!

Hope this has helped someone x

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, very easy to read and understand!!!, 7 April 1999
By A Customer
I am a MFCC intern working with children and adolescents with ADD and also have relatives with ADD. I cannot express how wonderful this book is. It's so easy to read and it's very informative and filled with great factual information as well as case studies. I learned a lot from this book and find it to be one of the most helpful books on this subject. It should be the textbook in schools for those learning about this subject!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've read several books on ADD: this one outpaces the others, 7 May 1999
By A Customer
After learning I had ADD, at age 45, I read all I could get my hands on. This book is more enjoyable, more informative, more true to life...less demeaning than anything else I have read. Dr. Hallowell uses lifes encounters as a method to help explain every facet of ADD that he describes. ADD is depicted as an adventure rather than one of lifes meladies we must endure.
An easy read, well worth it for all family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars An must read for anyone with ADD, 22 Dec 1997
By A Customer
I am a 23 year old college who has ADD and this is one of the best books I have ever read. I found out I had ADD 2 years ago, and then found that most people knew very little about it. Even my doctor had little knowledge of what it is really like to live with this disorder every day. The author himself has ADD, and can accurately relate what it is like.
I found this book to be insightful, funny, and very informative. I was so absorbed in this book, I found myself reading 100+ pages in one sitting. When I was done reading, I was dismayed that there was no more to read.
Thanks to this book, I now have a better grasp on my disorder, and know about it than my doctor.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have ADD, 5 Mar 2012
When I order the book was because I was suspecting I had ADD, since I know some people who has it and I noticed our similarities, something that my husband noticed too. I am 54 years old, and when i was growing up this didn't exist. I am definitely an adult with ADD, who was a child with ADD. The book does say you shouldn't diagnose yourself, but it covers everything I ever felt, and more. Great book, easy to understand, with loads of case studies. There are many types of people, and in everyone the ADD manifests in a different manner, but the core is the same, for all of us.
I like how the authors unfolds the full spectrum of the disorder, is written by a psychiatrist who have it and teaches how to make changes and take advantage of the good things, because there are some too. The book gives us hope.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 10 Sep 2010
This is a great book for anyone wanting to find out about A.D.H.D. My only critisism is that all of the case studies mentioned were treated with medication. It would have been great to have had some examples of people managing their condition using alternative methods.However,the fact that it is written by someone who actually had the condition themselves is very encouraging. As the author is American some of the information may not be quite so relevant to us Brits but it was very educational and easy to read. The case studies were fascinating and at times rather funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars Driven to Distraction, 11 Jun 2003
- I definitely am! Thank goodness for this book which finally helped put my daughter's behaviour into perspective. Unlike most other books that I have read on ADHD, this was excellently illustrated with real case studies. It really brought the infinite range of ADHD symptoms to life and includes chapters on all the comorbid disorders, plus adult methods of self-medication which often mask ADHD. An easy and educational read. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book. The best so far, 26 Aug 1999
By A Customer
It helps that the Dr.s have it but this book was the first step to me gaining my sanity. The character Jim was almost exactly me. I am now seeking treatment. Thank you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›