5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful collection, 26 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This is a truly beautiful collection of poems. I have been interested in Japanese poetry and literature since discovering Murasaki Shikibu and her novel, "The Tale of Genji". Having read many Japanese poetic diaries of the Heian period, my interest was only increased after gaining this volume of poetry also. Although I had not heard of Ono No Komachi before buying "The Ink Dark Moon", I feel that her poerty is some of the best I have read. The imagery and metaphors she uses are both simple and profound. It is from their simplicity that they are made to be so beautiful and romantic. After reading Izumi Shikibu's poems contained in this collection, I was eager to find a copy of her diary also.
For anyone with an interest in Japanese poetry, this collection is a good starting point. There is a good introduction, and there is also an invaluable appendix for further information. The authors have also provided bibliographies for further reading, including information on Heian literature, poetry and culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN OUSTANDING, TOUCHING WORK, 7 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Having devoured numerous Japanese anthologies, I can tell you this one is a pure delight. The translations are beautiful. The choice of poems is beautiful. The introduction is wonderful. And the layout is clean. A must for anyone with a heart and soul. A desert island choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly beautiful, 29 July 2005
Ana (SW England) - See all my reviews
I want to let other potential readers know what a gorgeous book this is. From the point of view of a reader who is simply interested in Japan and Japanese culture, though not yet very knowledgeable about it, this book was hugely accessible and beautiful. One does not have to be a fan of poetry to appreciate this book.
I have given two copies as gifts already. What I found so beautiful was the absolute simplicity of the poems, and the strikingly contemporary thoughts, feelings and emotions expressed in them. Humans have not changed much, it seems.
Absolutely beautiful. I dip into the book from time to time, just to be blown away by the brevity of expression in each perfectly-formed piece. To read it as a whole is like a feast. I don't like to be disturbed, and ideally I will be somewhere quiet and out of doors.
Absolutely recommended 100% for anyone who in any way has an interest in human emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly romantic collection, 7 Jan 1998
By A Customer
Several years ago, I heard an interview with the translator of these poems on NPR.The quoted poetry sounded so interesting I went and bought a copy. It's a book to sit down with on a melancholy gray and rainy afternoon with a pot of tea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 1 Aug 2008
K. Murphy (Co. Kerry, Ireland) - See all my reviews
The beauty of the language and the powerful images are quite inspiring. Love poetry at its best by remarkable women. I keep coming back to it...

The Ink Dark Moon
The Ink Dark Moon by Izumi Shikibu (Hardcover - Sep 1988)
Used & New from: 9.71