5.0 out of 5 stars How to love your knitting
I taught myself to knit from an ancient Good Housekeeping Needlecrafts book and for several years slavishly followed patterns from library books, magazines and free leaflets. It's a worthy and satisfying activity to follow a good pattern, and my children had the sweaters, mittens and socks to prove it.

KNITTING WITHOUT TEARS, borrowed from the library as usual...
Published on 26 Oct 2007 by Linda Bulger

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reading but not for the visual learner!
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by keila

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having mum next to you all over again, 20 Aug 2011
This review is from: Knitting without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes (Knitting Without Tears SL 466) (Paperback)
This book is very chatty, if you love Ikea's pictograms & can't bear being told how to do something by a friendly expert then it might not be for you, but if you buy books to improve your techniques & then flick through them never to pick them up again this might be the answer. I have sat down and read this book cover to cover on several occasions. EZ writes in a friendly chatty style and talks to you thro the pages so it is an easy read. It might take some people a bit of courage to leave behind the formal written pattern but once you have then I am sure you will never look back. The patterns are designed for you to be able to make ANY size in ANY wool, and when possible with no sewing or a minimum of sewing up after, the most famous of these patterns is the ski jumper which seems to be back in fashion this year, Ann Budd uses EZ's pattern in the Sweater Book putting it in a table form, but it still only goes to a 54" finished chest using EZ's method you could knit it to any size, I did one to measure 60" and it worked fine. EZ spells out the pattern for a 40" measurement so you can see how it is done then gives you the formula to do it yourself for any size any yarn. I do think she gets a little carried away in the possibilities for jumpers that need no sewing but that is my only criticism. If you are a beginner who has mastered the basics but not really followed a pattern for a garment you should manage fine if you are an expert who want to move into design this book would be helpful. Definately an important pat of any knitters library who seeks to do a bit more than follow patterns blindly

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reading but not for the visual learner!, 25 Jan 2011
I decided to buy this book because it is a knitting classic. I hoped that I could learn some useful tips. I am an intermediate knitter. I realized that I knit very well reading this book, evenly and fast because I knit continental.However I wasn't able to learn any new technique . There are good useful tips, like the chapter about how to wash your knitting and I like the conversational style of the author. So, that is my humble opinion, this book is for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely writer but bring the production the 21st century, 23 Dec 2011
I enjoy the writing very much - motherly, kind, funny. It's a little peek into the past and into someone's life and character.
Having recently knitted a sweater with set-in sleeves I am very interested in patterns with minimal seaming. Seams are hard work! The icelandic yoke sweater looks like something I could do, though I may not be brave enough to tackle the colourwork. I've only been knitting for three months but I do understand the principles of construction, fit and fibre because my mother was a dressmaker. I guess it gave me a head start.
What this book could really do with is a little TLC to make it more palatable to modern tastes - colour pics, step-by-step photos of works in progress, updated formatting, nicer paper. Hence, one star deducted as it's not as attractive as it deserves to be.
Still, you can check out lots of pics of finished projects on Ravelry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent addition to your knitting collection, 9 Mar 2010
This book is worth having, if not for its knitting advice which IMO is well worth every penny, for its humour. Elizabeth Zimmerman and Barbara Walker are essential reading for any knitter who isn't satisfied with being a 'blind follower', if you want to knit your own designs then start here!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read as well!, 24 Jun 2012
This book was written just for me; a new granny, reviving an old love affair with knitting but having forgotten most of the techniques necessary for making a garment stylish and comfortable. More than anything else Elizabeth Zimmerman empowers one to knit, her book gives the confidence to go ahead and try without fear, something new. Lets face it, knitting can be unravelled and redone quite easily until one is satisfied with it, and that is the message. A great book!! Great patterns too!! I particularly like the garter stitch hoody that will stretch with the growing child. Can't wait to knit it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best knitting book ever written, 18 Feb 2010
N. Buckley - See all my reviews
You are bound to love EZ chatty style! She can teach anyone to knit whatever they want, in any yarn they like. No more patterns for me, thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but Ethnic, 30 April 2007
L. Armstrong "Romantic Novelist" (Lancashire Lass) - See all my reviews
I did enjoy reading this book, but I'd never make the sweaters - first because they look a bit old-fashioned and ethnic, and second because I'd never have the nerve to cut my knitting down the middle with a pair of sissors! She has a very strong individual voice, though, and it is worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 31 Oct 2011
Very confusing. The patterns arent written out in the usual way but are hidden in the rambling text. Not an easy book to work from.

3.0 out of 5 stars More biographical and anecdotal than instruction book., 6 April 2014
Elizabeth S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I found this book rather frustrating, because if was more biographical and anecdotal than giving me the simple instructions that I was looking for. However, I did persevere with it, and, tucked into it here and there, were some very good tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is fab and is well worth the money, 6 Dec 2013
I have this book and it will be helpful in the projects that I knit and to make different items as the need comes up.
JE Winchester