5.0 out of 5 stars How to love your knitting
I taught myself to knit from an ancient Good Housekeeping Needlecrafts book and for several years slavishly followed patterns from library books, magazines and free leaflets. It's a worthy and satisfying activity to follow a good pattern, and my children had the sweaters, mittens and socks to prove it.

KNITTING WITHOUT TEARS, borrowed from the library as usual...
Published on 26 Oct. 2007 by Linda Bulger

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reading but not for the visual learner!
I decided to buy this book because it is a knitting classic. I hoped that I could learn some useful tips. I am an intermediate knitter. I realized that I knit very well reading this book, evenly and fast because I knit continental.However I wasn't able to learn any new technique . There are good useful tips, like the chapter about how to wash your knitting and I like the...
Published on 25 Jan. 2011 by keila

5.0 out of 5 stars How to love your knitting, 26 Oct. 2007
Linda Bulger (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knitting without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes (Knitting Without Tears SL 466) (Paperback)

KNITTING WITHOUT TEARS, borrowed from the library as usual in those frugal times, was my first hint that you could really "own" your knitting. I had no idea of Elizabeth Zimmermann's stature in the knitting world, her amazing public television broadcasts, her legendary knitting camps. Her writing style is so down-to-earth, she could be sitting in the next rocking chair glancing over at your knitting and offering pithy, helpful commentary just to you.

The premise of this book is that you can find your gauge, plan your knitting, do the math, and come up with the garment you visualized. Don't like seams? No problem -- knit a tube and cut your openings. CUT your knitting? I was too inexperienced to feel the fear and cheerfully cut my first steeks with Elizabeth's words propped against the teapot in front of me.

I've long since bought this book, more than once in fact. It's not the sort of knitting book we're used to -- its appeal is in the concepts and the clarity of text, not in pictures or modular layout. Nor is it a how-to book for brand new knitters. If you can knit and purl, keep a steady gauge, and follow basic directions, why not "kick it up a notch" with the thinking knitter's approach?

It's fitting that Elizabeth Zimmermann is lovingly known as EZ. If you adopt her easy-going attitude, you'll find it "EZ" to love your knitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful reference and learning tool., 30 July 1999
By A Customer
This book finally gave me the courage to design my own sweater. I have been knitting for several years and never ventured into the untamed world of design...Elizabeth's wonderful instructions, comments, and faith gave me the okay to go ahead and have fun. I made a patterned yoke sweater that not only looks great, but fits as well. I can't say that happens too many times with patterns! If you are looking for a great reference and addition to your knitting shelf, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that really taught me to knit., 17 April 1998
By A Customer
This book will take the blind follower by the hand and get you too knit your first hat and sweater while learning important techniques as you go. Some people might require a a simpler break down of the knit and pearl stitches but I found that this was the book that taught me to knit. Use as a jumping board to other Zimmerman books and then you can do anything!

5.0 out of 5 stars NO ONE knows more about knitting than EZ !, 20 Jan. 1998
By A Customer
Elizabeth Zimmerman is the Master when it comes to knitting and writing books about it. She has enhanced my love of knitting more times than I can count. My husband wears many sweaters with her inspiration in them. My book is worn and torn and notes written all over... and I still get that 'warm, fuzzy feeling' everytime I look up something. She taught me to knit and read at the same time and there's nothing I like better than to read about her 'unventing' adventures with the 'Old Man'. Has her daughter written a book on knitting, also? If so, I certainly would want purchase it because she has to be taught by the Master!

5.0 out of 5 stars For ANY knitter, beginner thru expert, 26 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This book, with E.Z.'s (as the author is known to thousands around the world)simple philosophy, shares a hidden world of knitting with us. She touches on her own learnings, "unventions" as she calls them. She brought me back into the woolie fold of knitters many years ago and I haven't looked back since. I would heartily recommend this book to anyone interested in learning to knit their own designs and creations. She also includes "pithy directions" for those of us who still feel we need line by line directions. Read this book with wool and needles in hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation for many knitters, 18 Mar. 2004
Joanna Daneman (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What! One doesn't need a pattern to create a perfectly-fitted jumper? That's right. If you learn Mrs Zimmermann's method for diagramming knitting based on chest circumference and stitch gauge, you can knit nearly any style in any wool.
This book diverges from many knitting instruction books in that it EMPOWERS the knitter to think and work out ways to knit on her or his own. However, if you are a follower of patterns, preferring to use a map rather than "suggestions", this is still valuable reading. All sorts of little hints and techniques are given. I have used this book countless times to give to friends who ask "teach me to knit better." It works.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could have only 1 knitting book, this would be it., 18 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
This book will not only teach you the basics, but it will make you an insider to the mysteries of knitting. It will painlessly liberate you from being a slave to pattern directions. Before you know it, you will be making your own sweaters to your own designs. Get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Knitting in layman's terms with several sweater patterns, 8 April 1998
By A Customer
This book is good for beginners but better for advanced to experienced. EZ uses direct, simple explanations to take one by the hand and lead one through the knitting of a sweater from start to finish. However, a working knowledge of basic stitches and construction is very helpful. The illustrations leave much to be desired and if color, detailed illustrations were included I'd give this book a big, fat 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zimmerman's classic for advanced beginners and beyond, 13 Dec. 2010
This is a classic book for knitters who have learned a little bit and want to move on to more complex projects. The style and content are both excellent and highly informative. The only slight problem is the dated look of the reprinted text and illustrations. It must have been laid out when the book was first published no-one has redone the typesetting since. This is a shame, because it gives the book a rather old-fashioned feel, when the ideas within are fresh and revolutionary. Please, please let the publishers give this a good polish and reprint it with improved illustrations! That said, I would buy this any day for a knitter wanting to go beyond simple beginner projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having mum next to you all over again, 20 Aug. 2011
This book is very chatty, if you love Ikea's pictograms & can't bear being told how to do something by a friendly expert then it might not be for you, but if you buy books to improve your techniques & then flick through them never to pick them up again this might be the answer. I have sat down and read this book cover to cover on several occasions. EZ writes in a friendly chatty style and talks to you thro the pages so it is an easy read. It might take some people a bit of courage to leave behind the formal written pattern but once you have then I am sure you will never look back. The patterns are designed for you to be able to make ANY size in ANY wool, and when possible with no sewing or a minimum of sewing up after, the most famous of these patterns is the ski jumper which seems to be back in fashion this year, Ann Budd uses EZ's pattern in the Sweater Book putting it in a table form, but it still only goes to a 54" finished chest using EZ's method you could knit it to any size, I did one to measure 60" and it worked fine. EZ spells out the pattern for a 40" measurement so you can see how it is done then gives you the formula to do it yourself for any size any yarn. I do think she gets a little carried away in the possibilities for jumpers that need no sewing but that is my only criticism. If you are a beginner who has mastered the basics but not really followed a pattern for a garment you should manage fine if you are an expert who want to move into design this book would be helpful. Definately an important pat of any knitters library who seeks to do a bit more than follow patterns blindly