4.0 out of 5 stars Guide to the US mind for strangers ?
I bought the book on a holiday to the US. Read it. Shook my head. Talked about it with friends in the US. So - that's PC ? This book helped me to understand - and laugh about - the concept of politically correct talking by the reality-challenged folks who obviously USE such terms... Recommended !
Published on 27 Mar. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Averagely Amusing
A boyfriend gave me this book as a gift because we had been making PC jokes for a while. It was funny, but not to the point where I was laughing out loud funny. I guess I wish he would have taken me out to a nice dinner instead of spending money on the book. Oh well. --Kim
Published on 1 April 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Averagely Amusing, 1 April 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars An Average-Challenged Parody for the Millenium, 25 Mar. 1998
This review is from: The Official Politically Correct Dictionary (Paperback)
Beard and Cerf's spoof on political correctness was quite amusing when first published, but as with many things with topical humor: you had to be there. This is not to say that this book is not a great gift idea for that special someone that you know who was (was not) there and didn't (doesn't)"get it." Political correctness is still alive and well, but like new shoes the concept is becoming more comfortable in our lives. P.C. -- not to be confused with PCs that people embraced at a much faster rate -- still pinches our toes in places. So first time managers of people may appreciate receiving this little tongue-in-cheek guidebook on the complexities of workplace diversity to gain perspective of the times. For the price, this irreverent reference piece by Beard and Cerf is a humorous "hard back disadvantaged" book for those with special needs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't aged well, 5 May 2013
This review is from: The Official Politically Correct Dictionary (Paperback)
This book is a couple of decades old now, and the humour has not aged well. When published in the early 1990s, this was a satirical look at aggressive left-leaning pundits who either seemed hypersensitive at the time about the portrayal of women/minorities/LGBT people or were coming up with odd euphemisms and other phrases (like "differently-abled" for disabled). I found it amusing at the time, but that was before the rise of right-leaning politicians in the United States and elsewhere who used this type of satirical material to delegitimise concerns about discrimination and stereotypes. It's difficult to read the book now without thinking about being manipulated by social conservatives. Even worse, one of the passages in the book delegitimises concerns about date rape, which would be inconceivable to publish these days given the number of allegations about sexual abuse emerging on the news on an almost daily basis. (To be fair to the authors, Christopher Cerf subsequently co-authored Mission Accomplished, a satirical book that was highly critical of the Republican politicians and pundits who supported the Iraqi invasion.)

Even if I try to ignore the deeper political ramifications of the book, the humour is still boring. Many of the terms that seemed like weird new inventions of left-leaning academics in the early 1990s are now all-but-forgotten or have been incorporated into the English lexicon. Even right-leaning people disgusted with political correctness will not really find it all that amusing. Overall, I cannot recommend the book for anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guide to the US mind for strangers ?, 27 Mar. 1998

The Official Politically Correct Dictionary
The Official Politically Correct Dictionary by Henry Beard (Paperback - 7 April 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01