5.0 out of 5 stars The classic exposition of how cities work. A must-read., 12 Oct 1996
By A Customer
Even 35 years after it was written, The Death and Life of Great American
Cities remains the classic book on how cities work and
how urban planners and others have naively destroyed
functioning cities. It is widely known for its incisive
treatment of those who would tear down functioning neighborhoods
and destroy the lives and livelihoods of people for the sake of a
groundless but intellectually appealing daydream.

But although many see it as a polemic against urban planning,
the best parts of it, the parts that have endeared it to
many who love cities, are quite different. Death and Life
is, first of all, a work of observation. The illustrations
are all around us, she says, and we must go and look. She
shows us parts of the city that are alive -- the streets,
she says, are the city that we see, and it is the streets and
sidewalks that carry the most weight -- and find the patterns
that help us not merely see but understand. She shows us the city as
an ecology -- a system of interactions that is more than
merely the laying out of buildings as if they were a
child's wooden blocks.

But observation can mean simply the noting of objects.
Ms. Jacobs writes beautifully, lovingly, of New York
City and other urban places. Her piece "The Ballet of
Hudson Street" is both an observation of events on the
Greenwich Village street where she lived and a prose poem
describing the comings and goings of the people, the rhythms
of the shopkeepers and the commuters and others who use the
street.

In this day when "inner city" is a synonym for poverty
and hopelessness, it is important to be reminded that
cities are literally the centers of civilization, of
business, of culture. This is just as true today as it was
in the early 1960s when this was written. We in North
America owe Jane Jacobs a great debt for her insight and her
eloquence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why was she ignored?, 21 May 2008
Justin Murphy (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
I found this book fascinating. I live and work in a country that has been badly planned since the war and that suffers from all the mistakes that Jane Jacobs describes. What astonishes me is that planning was not influenced by this book when it was written. Most if its lessons are self-evidently correct. Yet even today planners continue to zone for dead, empty streets and monopolistic commerce. It has opened my eyes and made me feel a little angry. I wasn't interested in planning or urbanisation before I read this book, but now I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 23 Dec 2009
Marcia (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
I couldn't actually put this book down, this book about urban planning from almost 50 years ago! But it contains so much sense, currency, intellect and elegance that it transcends not only its subject matter, but also geography and time. It is at once a book of treasure observations, enlightening insights and encompassing philosophies. I daresay anyone can learn something from Jane Jacobs.

The hardback is great as a present, especially as its cover is a photo of Jane herself. I can't help but feel drawn to this revelational work's author, as most readers who enjoy this book will do. So seeing her in her element, conversing and observing, brings one even closer to this very personal work.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to create cities that work, 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Vintage) (Paperback)
Good: commonsensical (or does it just seem so in retrospect?), imaginative, solutions-focused, people-oriented and persuasively argued. Bad: evidence is mostly anecdotal (despite her enthusiasm for the scientific method) and she labours her points.

Her point about not forcing successful people out via income segregation is well made - especially as this is still regularly suggested in the name of 'fairness'; and her discussions about public transport and the alternative to a proliferation of cars even more so.

Interesting though to consider how many of the advantages of city life (as she understood them) may not now exist - or at any rate may not be so marked - in the Information Age. New ideas, niche products, a wide variety of people: they can all be had virtually.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary book, 19 July 2007
I first encountered this book in the early 1980s when I was a geography student taking an Urban studies' course at Manchester University. I thought it was fantastic then and my own copy was very well thumbed. Somewhere in the course of several moves I have lost the book - but recently, with a geography student daughter of my own, I have been reminded of it and am so glad that I have tracked it down via Amazon - I have to admit that at the time I did not realise how influential Jane Jacobs was in her field. I hope it lives up to my recollections of it on rereading!

5.0 out of 5 stars urban, 8 Oct 2004
Paul Snell "Paul Snell" (London) - See all my reviews
A little slow, but then again, who else addresses the real conditions of city living without a load of fantasy academic nonsense? Jacobs highlights the issues and processes that transform city districts into hostlie or livable areas - and it's not planners and estate agents that she's thanking! Nice to see some actual research make its way into a useful, readable book on urban living / planning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cities that work, and cities that don't, 1 Mar 2013
Jane Jacobs is the Edmund Burke of urban planning. I doubt there's any compliment higher than that. In Death and Life she takes on the modernist planners and their grand projects, visions of 'urban renewal' and single-use neighborhoods, that she says create uneconomical, unnatural, isolated and deadening urban spaces.

Jacobs instead champions four factors that generate not only vibrancy, but economic viability.

1. Mixed uses, with different street activities at different times of the day
2. Short blocks, which allow high pedestrian permeability
3. A mixture of old and new buildings of various ages (and states of repair)
4. Density

The examples here are a bit dated, but the book will make you think about your own environment and how we experience and use cities.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, 13 Mar 2014
great book! great cover, handling etc! i study architecture and it was really helpful for typing my essay. It shows mainly the life and death of american citis from the common peoples view and not from architectural one (i hope that helped you).

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 1 July 2013
A snapshot of New York we don't often hear about. A fascinating and insightful account from the mind and time of Jane Jacobs.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for those in social and urban design spheres, 2 Sep 2011
Sammy Elaasar - See all my reviews
A must read for those who think that the city is an unworkable mess and that sub-urban layouts are the best solution for the world populatioons. I think it makes a great argument for variety in life and the community spirit of living in close nit communities. Great easy read

The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Vintage)
The Death and Life of Great American Cities (Vintage) by Jane Jacobs (Paperback - 13 May 1993)