5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating History, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Coloured People: A Memoir (Vintage) (Paperback)
This was such an interesting story of a black family in 1950s/60s Virginia USA. Some parts very droll and some bits sad. How things have changed since this man was young, but on the whole he lived in a Southern State that wasn't as overt as the Deep south in their prejudice. The two communities just kept part from each other. No burning crosses or KKK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and funny and haunting and serious., 26 May 1999
By A Customer
So removed from my own experience but a story told with such grace, it will always be one of my favorite books. I read it when it was published some time ago and have not forgotten the real sense of place and people. As a white female wasp from New England, I'm not sure I understand why it affected me so. Lost communities that we gave up in the name of something else. On the one hand, it made me think there will always be a separateness and, on the other hand, that we all want the kind of community and gentle exchange that seemed at the heart of the people in this book. The use of the language is admirable - the writing - but it was what I took away about my own very different life that made the book memorable. It's a scholarly work in its way but simple, clear and classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, yet thougt provoking!, 16 April 1999
This review is from: Coloured People: A Memoir (Vintage) (Paperback)
This memoir had me laughing throughout, but it was also though provoking. The descriptions were so vivid, you believed you are right there in that little town witnessing Mr. Gates live and the lives of his family. I gave the book to my mother and she loved it also. Coming from a small town in Arkansas, there were alot of similarites. This book was a departure from his normal intellectual writings but no less educational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful...., 10 Oct 1997
This review is from: Coloured People: A Memoir (Vintage) (Paperback)
Mr. Gates invites readers into his world with a very detailed and rich account of his early childhood and the journey he took to become one of the most influential intellectuals of our generation.

Coloured People: A Memoir (Vintage)
Coloured People: A Memoir (Vintage) by Louis Gates (Paperback - 30 April 1995)
8.76