5.0 out of 5 stars god - the ultimate absent father?
Published 22 months ago by H. Tee

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't read unless you love odd rambling poetry
Most of what Nietzsche thinks you can probably get from the first couple of chapters: - God is dead, long live superman, don't follow the crowd, will yourself a meaning to life etc etc.

Published 10 months ago by GT

5.0 out of 5 stars god - the ultimate absent father?, 10 Jan 2013
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
This is the well known novel (and piece of music), philosophy-come propose poem by the German intellectual Nietzsche of 1882-1885. The book is a 306 page fictional repost, as it were, to two prevailing philosophies of the time being 'nihilism' and 'atheism'. If there is no God or afterlife and life is ultimately pointless can there be anything worth living for? Well along comes this guy from the mountains who has famously worked out that 'God is dead' and is armed philosophically with Nietzsche 's 3 atheist ideas being the goal to the 'superman', 'will to power ' and ideas regarding 'beyond good and evil'. He travels and meets life and people such as the higher man, volunteer beggar, convalescent, disciples, priests, drunk, soothsayer, scholars etc. The whole work is told and presented as an authoritative, real work of a much revered, revealed person who genuinely 'knows'. There are a lot of 'thou', 'unto', 'oh my brethren', 'ye ' and sentences of deep ideas. There are 80 short titled chapters in three books, allowing the reader to be able to quote passages authoritatively. It seems to me that the basic thrust is that though ultimately one's life is futile, you can enjoy yourself/struggle, aspire to being a part in the creation of a better humanity and make your own way without religion.

There is an arc to the basic story from mountain to people to doubts to home and finally awakening. This is really a remarkable book and very profound. I found time and again passages of great poignancy and depth. I can now understand on so many levels how religious texts can overtake people, and be used by the knowledgeable and (ir)religious for their own ends picking and choosing what suits. One of the most interesting ideas for me was the one regarding the guy being 'the servant to the last pope' - what to do if your religion has vanished and the people you serve are irrelevant? The work has been much analysed and commented on.

I could easily now list over 20 or so quotes but anyway here are a few:

Everywhere resoundeth the voice of those who preach death; and the earth is full of those to whom death hath to be preached. Or eternal life; it is all the same to me - if only they pass away quickly

Had he but remained in the wilderness, and far from the good and the just! Then, perhaps would he have learned to live, and love the earth- and laughter too.

Thus spake the devil unto me, once on a time: 'even God hath his hell: it is his love of man'. And lately did I hear him say these words 'God is dead: of his pity for man hath God died'.

For all things are baptized at the font of eternity, and beyond good and evil, good and evil themselves, however, are but fugitive shadows and damp afflictions and passing clouds.

And many such good inventions are there, that they are like woman's breast: useful at the same time, and pleasant.

There is also good taste in piety; this is at last said: away with such a God! Better to have no God, better to set up destiny on one's own account, better to be a fool, better to be God oneself!

Go out of the way of all such absolute ones! They are a poor sickly type, a populace-type: they look at this life with ill-will; they have an evil eye for this earth.

Finally I can certainly recommend this book. But certainly not for the story but more for the ideas, depth and I suppose the concepts of godless religion.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beatiful works in Philosophy ever made, and the most misunderstood, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
In "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" Nietzsche takes us on the journey of a hermit, which is told in such an eccentric manner that one has to re-read the pages of this book a few times before we can discern a meaning. I oddly read this book as one of the first philosophical works for me to ever touch on, and I must say it set me on course to study more and more philosophy simply for it's releaving brilliance and feeling. To claim to understand Nietzsche completely would be nonsensical, rather I understood instead much of what he advocated, that people be individuals and that they live for their own happyness and to try and not have pity. He saw pity as the means to all of the evil in the world and the reason for all of mankinds problems and despair, instead he tried to go "beyond good and evil" with the aim of making a human being of such purity than all of mankinds problems would be removed. He was also like many of his time, somewhat of an elitist but not in the sense we have come to take it, also he was by no means a fascist as one review would like to claim. Instead he believed people of similar kinds and beliefs should form together as friends who loved each other in the truest form and who would fight for each other to the death. His main battle was against the melanchoy, and much of what he says is in metaphors and can be easily misunderstood which is why it's important to read this book for yourself, and to ignore the propoganda. Whether Nietzsche was correct or not, is rather of little important but what can be taken from reading this book is a mindset you shall find from nowhere else, it is a challenge to what we believe and more importantly one of the most joyful books I've ever touched my hands upon. For those who wish to go on an adventure of a read I would suggest it, it is not for the weak hearted or those who are quick to be frustrated by a hard read but if you can get over it's eccentricness (Which there is a little too much) it's simply brilliant. I'm not sure what else to say without ruining it a bit, for me with no knowledge of it beforehand it was simply amazing to just read and see what I could find. I suggest you stick away from the drudgery of these reviewers who are disliking it on personal means and instead, read something which is truly invidivudal and truly valuable in it's strikingness.

I hope this review if it does nothing else, urges someone on to give this book a go!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful existential work of art, 27 Dec 2011
Gongmaison (Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
I read Nietzsche's book back in my youth and found it beautiful and profoundly moving as Zarathustra identifies with the conflict of individualism and belonging. I have just ordered this book to re-read so that I can experience again that sense of home coming with like minded existentialists.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't read unless you love odd rambling poetry, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)

The rest is very, very long-winded poetry, and not the particularly beautiful kind, in my opinion. After the first chapter or two I felt I had to read about four pages of blurb to yield one line of something that even resembled anything meaningful to me.

Unless you want to really _study_ this book (as opposed to simply enjoy it), avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great work by a great translator, 20 July 2014
Mr. J. J. M. Omara "rabbitears" (london uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
In my mind the best English translation of this work by a long way, this is a classic translation of a classic and much more easily readable than some of the alternatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars a world classic, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
Stands equally alone among the 19th centuries many literary masterpieces and is arguably Nietzsches magnum opus. In this unique book Nietzsche beautifies his specialist subject of contempary ethical crisis into transcendant poetic brilliance. This is one of the most profound works of art of any age in any language and certainly religions most dazzlingly scathing parody. Could it be the most audacious work a master has ever dared attempt? Never has writing been more excellently ammoral. With Zarathustra, nihilism becomes a celebration, a Godless worlds apparent meaninglessness a tremendous cause of rejoicing. Nietzsche supposes he has released us from 'servitude under purpose,' claiming, 'all things are baptized at the font of eternity and beyond good and evil'; whether or not we agree with him, the endeavour was worth his lifetimes contemplation becoming justified in the sheer mesmerizing splendour of Zarathustras dithyrambic poetry. Genuinely a rare moment of genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Error of Consciousness as Spirit., 19 April 2012
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
Previously I had read a bad translation of"Beyond Good and Evil" and thought Nietzsche rather obtuse and fanatical,but this work redeems him and makes him more accessible.The book is written in a mock biblical style and divided into 81 brief chapters which makes it easier to digest and use as a reference.I should also mention that the syntax used is of an archaic style and although it reads straight forwardly it may be confusing and irritating for some who would rather not make the effort.
The story concerns a Persian prophet his travels and philosophical musings and his search for the "higher man".It is set in some indeterminate past and at time takes on mythological qualities reminiscent of more ancient texts.
This is a fine book to read if you find yourself despairing of the mob mentality that prevails in society and it will give you plenty of encouragement and support to plough your own furrow in life.Although it is not hard to see how Nietzsche's writings could be used to fuel fanaticism ,to see it for this quality alone is to miss the overall message and it is more balanced than some would have you believe.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review from someone who ahsnt completed the work, 15 July 2008
Mr. R. G. P. Amos (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Paperback)
As a Christian, a few people might find it slightly odd that I actually like Nietzche and his works. I'm sure he would absolutely loathe me, but he seems to have loathed everything so in truth I'm not that worried. Thus spoke Zarathustra, which I have not actually completed, seems to just about summarize Nietzche's views, Zoroaster is made in Nietzche's philosophical avatar. If you are like me, a Christian (or religous), who likes to have their views challenged, and perhaps even confronted with good or irefutable arguments, Nietzche is a good place to start, and (just from my partial reading), where better to start than Thus spoke Zarathustra. If you are an atheist, this book will give you some extra arguments, and make you feel very good about yourself with Nietzche giving you intellectual authority, but if that is the only reason you want to get this book you probably quite boring. This book is good if you want to dig deep for the philosophical arguments. A lot of people have said the translation is terrible, I haven't read another copy and I can't read german, so I don't know any better. To me I think the author makes a good attempt at translating the text into an archaic poetic manner. However, I find it gets a bit greating, and if what others say is true the translations from German into archaic English words and syntax are arbitrary, and so it might be better to get a more flowing copy. The book is beautiful in many ways, and as a self-proclaimed exitentialist, I think this is certainly a very influentail book. Nietzche sure as hell (or whatever) knows his stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 July 2014
a must play

5.0 out of 5 stars A challenging and remarkable book!, 10 July 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Modern Library) (Hardcover)
Thus Spoke Zarathustra is an incredible work of philosophical genius! I was amazed and challenged by it. Nietzsche's writing is very enjoyable and enlightening, whether or not one agrees with his conclusions. His philosophy is fascinating, though not for the light-hearted. This is definitely a book for thinking people who want to see the world in a new and different light!

Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Modern Library)
Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Modern Library) by Walter Kaufmann (Hardcover - 31 May 1997)
Used & New from: £8.67