1,010 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen's Norton
SAFE READING - NO SPOILERS

Norton Critical Editions are excellent publications and a wonderful series for any students, covering plays and novels. There is a typical format - text first, notes, etc afterwards.

After a brief editor's note, there is the text, over two-hundred pages. It is a story of Regency England but for details see other...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by RR Waller

2.0 out of 5 stars Why is the free version abridged? : (
Yes, I know this is free so you can't expect much from a free book but why can't we have the full text? This is my favourite classic and I was looking forward to reading the e-version but feel I have been cheated. One of my reasons for getting a Kindle was the promise of free classics and now I'm finding it be a promise with hidden terms and conditions.
I'm sure this...
Published on 26 Jun 2012 by Vixenfox

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 7 Aug 2013
You have to read it...!!!
A beautifull book, and a smart author... my mom read it, and now me...and i m glad i read it

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful version, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Audio CD)
Pride and Prejudice is one of my favourite books and I have read it many times over the years. This audio version is the best I have ever found. Irene Sutcliffe reads the book beautifully and it is unabridged which is the only way to read Jane Austen,in my opinion!

I was given this audio book as tapes some 10 years ago and was thrilled to find it again on cd. If you love the book you'll love this version of it. I have listened to lots of audio versions but none beat it. Buy it and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Define classic, 15 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book is irresistable. Darcy set the standard for the male love interest. Moody, passionate - you know he's proud, but you just can't help it. And Lizzie, in the context of the time and Jane Austen's class, she's a throughly modern girl. Intelligent, strong-willed and opinionated - you know she's going to get THE man.I've read this book countless times and enjoyed it on so many levels. Pure romance; social commentary on a certain section of society in C18th; satire of the manners of a certain section of society; and the whole "my word that Lizzie Bennett is a very HEALTHY" - nudge, nudge, wink, wink - "girl. Walking all that way here, with her rosy cheeks, eh!"

5.0 out of 5 stars The freshness and perfection of form are astonishing., 14 Mar 2002
John Austin "austinjr@bigpond.net.au" (Kangaroo Ground, Australia) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It is almost 200 years since "Pride and Prejudice" was first published. It ought to be the equivalent in literature of those faded, dried flowers that used to be found pressed between the pages of the old family bible. Instead it is redolent of freshly cut flowers still carrying a sprinkling of morning dew.

The freshness and the perfection of form are certainly astonishing. Jane Austin is as good as story teller as ever picked up a pen, knowing exactly how to construct plots, and what incidents and dialogues to detail in full and what to briefly summarize. Her "world" is small but intricately constructed. Every characteristic, quality and idea has a precise and fixed value, all being ranked strictly and sternly according to decorum, logic and morality.
Despite its architectural perfection, however, a recent re-reading reveals one or two construction features that are questionable. How could it be, for example that Fitzwilliam Darcy could have such a dragon for an aunt? I also wonder about the friendship between Darcy and Bingley. How did it begin? It is obviously important to each, but we are given nothing of its history.
Jane Austen lived long enough to see this book published and enjoyed amongst her own family and a small readership. Her mother entertained family members with it, reading it, in Jane Austen's estimation, a little too quickly. Distinguished British actress Lindsay Duncan reads it with perfect timing and inflexion in this highly recommended audio tape format, which presents the novel in an unabridged version of just over twelve hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not stuffy - just witty!, 8 May 2000
By A Customer
As a thirty something, I decided to try and re-educate myself by reading a classic rather than contemporary fiction. After having seen the film of Sense & Sensibility, I realised that Jane Austen had a sense of humour, whereas I had always thought that these books would be boring. How wrong I was. Pride & Prejudice is brilliant. I found myself laughing out loud at times, something which I never expected to do. All I can say to others in my situation is don't be put off, give it a go. Don't try to understand every word Jane Austen writes, just pick up the general idea of what she is saying. I have now given this book to my mum (who is sixty something!) who has also never read any classics. I am sure she will like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy for a long journey!, 18 Aug 2005
*Please don't vote on this review unless you were looking at the audiobook version or you will find the info irrelevant. It's not meant to be about the print editions, despite where Amazon may allow it to show!*

We listen to a lot of these audiobooks on long drives and I think this one has to be our favourite. As die hard 'P&P' fans, it appears often in our car.

It's beautifully read by the lady who plays Aunt Gardner in the 1995 BBC TV version and she makes a superb job of it. Her reading is full of feeling without being in the least over the top. Although she doesn't do a lot of *very* different voices to the degree that some readers do, she's easy to listen to and easy to follow. Volume is steady so you can listen in the car without the voice disappearing, (as on some....), then blowing you off your seat when you turn it right up!!

I think everyone knows the story, so that needs next to no comment in itself. Of course, it's abridged in this version, but very carefully done so that you don't miss any of the key parts and none of the characters are dropped as so often happens in film and TV versions.

Also good for listening whilst doing housework, chilling out, sun-bathing, public transport. Enjoy!=)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as expected, 2 Aug 2013
Classic book with a great story. Easy holiday read good to pick up any spare minute. Would read another Jane Austen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely paperback edition of Jane Austen, 2 Jan 2013
L Weale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I only have limited shelf space and now I have a Kindle I try to balance what I buy for the shelves vs. what I keep on the Kindle.

When I saw and then touched this paperback edition of Jane Austen I was instantly smitten. My existing copies are getting old and crumbly. These have pretty covers with an interesting feel, the printed pages are decent quality with a nice sized font. I bought all 6 Austens: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

If you haven't read Jane Austen, she died in 1817 and was writing during the Napoleonic Wars, an amazing time of exploration, scientific advance and a huge expansion of trade of which she mentions hardly anything. Just occasionally how 'officers' are turning young women's heads.

It is also a time when legally women have very little money of their own and little opportunity for well paid employment and the only way for a woman to have the opportunity to express herself is from the security of marriage - ideally but not necessarily 'happy' marriage.

Pride and Prejudice and most of the rest of Jane's books follow one or more young women with nothing much but their personalities to support them manage to find love and happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent!, 7 Mar 2010
M. Turner (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Audio CD)
I highly recommend this audio book. it's great to listen to. i am really pleased i purchased two copies one for me and one for my daughter who is really pleased with her's aswell.i find that the unabridged version's of books are far better than the abridged versions.i only wished the seller sold more of Jane Austin's audio books!all in it was a good Purchase. calling all Jane Austin fan's if you have never listened to an audio book this one is a good one to start with!Persuasion, Emma,all are great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - but not for the specialist, 12 Feb 2011
This is a beautifully produced book - though, at a size when open of 20 inches by 10 inches, it's a bit unwieldy for anybody used to handling paperbacks (or a Kindle!). The period illustrations are well chosen and excellently reproduced.

I suppose the main reason for buying the book would be the notes, and how valuable these will be to you will depend on your background and experience of reading JA. My impression is that they are pitched more at American than at English readers, and at college students rather than JA aficionados.

The notes of of two kinds. Many are simple explanations of the meanings of words, and I'm surprised by the sheer number of these. For example, how many readers need to be told that 'during the chief of the day' means 'during the main part of the day'? Or '(Lydia) .. had high animal spirits and a sort of natural self-consequence' means that she had 'great natural good humour' and 'natural self-importance'?

Other notes deal very well with the social background to the book, and provide a commentary on the characters and their relationships, but they are not terribly profound, and they didn't often give me any really striking new insights or information. Indeed, they sometime give the impression that they're intended for people for whom life in early 19th century England is utterly alien - we might be talking about the social relations between little green men and little green women on an Earth-like, but far distant, planet! On the other hand, some of the notes which I found most thought-provoking refer to other contemporary writing, especially JA's other novels and letters.

In a word, if you are already a JA enthusiast and know P&P really well, this book may be something of a disappointment; you may feel that it's not worth the, quite high, price. On the other hand, if JA is new to you, and, having seen a TV or film production of P&P, you want to read the original, this could be a very good way in.

Sorry if any of the above seems patronising. That wasn't the intention; the bottom line, of course, is that it's a matter of 'courses for horses'.

Pride and Prejudice (Everyman's Library Classics & Contemporary Classics)
Used & New from: 0.54