5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating look at film, 9 April 2003
This book is a transcription of a series of conversations between Michael Ondaatje, the author of "The English Patient", and Walter Murch, the editor of the film version of the book. Walter Murch has worked on many important modern films, including "Apocalypse Now", "The Conversation", and all the Godfather films, doing mostly sound design and film editing.
He discusses the creation of these and many other films with an insiders intimate knowledge of how each part adds to the whole. He mixes his strong technical knowledge with his love for the artistic process.
It is one of the best books I have ever read on film making. Both film makers and discerning film lovers will be knocked out by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and entertaining, 5 May 2005
By A Customer
An excellent collection of transcripted interview / conversations between novelist Ondaatje and editor/sound designer Walter Murch. Murch provides great insight into his specialist fields of film making and discusses all his major work, from editing The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation etc through to directing Return To Oz and recent work on The English Patient. It's not all technical however and there are frequent, and equally interesting, digressions into cinema and the arts in general. Fantastic!

4.0 out of 5 stars I gained extra insight into film making I never expected, 16 Mar. 2013
Mr. R. O'regan (Your mum) - See all my reviews
I'll be brief..

The book is half Walter Murch insights and half another guy (forget his name but a book writer's insight) - the book writer guy more prompts Walter into giving information by directing questions/conversation topics at him..

The book started well and finished well, it dragged a little somewhere in the middle and I remember I had to force myself to keep reading it.. but it was worth it in the end..

I am a relative newcomer to editing/film-making and to my pleasant surprise I discovered many insights into the whole process of film making and editing.. some of my own experiences that I thought were unique to me I found were common to many people.. eg some of the challenges faced when editing, where you change one part of the film, and it then effects another part of the film later that you hadn't anticipated etc etc..

Overall, Im glad I read this book

The book was recommended by an

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 9 Dec. 2013
I have the Kindle version which isn't great for all the pictures, which are actually really interesting, so I may request it from the library for that reason. But this is great book if you are into films, not just to learn about editing, but the world and time that film really took off :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, 26 Feb. 2014
It's definitely a must read for anyone working in the film industry or hoping to understand it better. A good read. And a great source of info from a legend of the cinema.

The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film
The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film by Walter Murch (Paperback - Jun. 2002)
Used & New from: £4.76