Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 December 2014
This book has been absolutely fantastic for my EPQ, although I have not been able to fully read it, from flicking through it presents an amazingly in depth discussion into homosexuality through the ages. In particular I bought this book to compare homosexuality during the Roman times against homosexuality in the Renaissance. I was pleasantly surprised to see Boticelli appear in the Italian Renaissance section and marveled at reading the ideas suggested. This book has become extremely important to me, both due to the range of quotes offered and the range of people that are discussed.

The only bad area I would have to say is that I think it focused a bit too much on Michelangelo and I was severely dissappointed by the lost opportunity of discussing Botticelli's homosexuality in more depth.
on 8 September 2013
Brilliant book and a total education on what homosexuals went through in times long past.Many surprises in the information on how some countries were much more acceptable to a different pattern of life than others .Although life is never easy for homosexuals reading this made me realize how much this world has altered ,but in some aspects not so much for the better .
10 out of 10 for the author.
on 16 August 2013
I have been asked to rate Louis Crompton's " Homosexuality and Civilization", having read only through half this monumental work, the fruits of a lifetime's study. His historical approach to the subject matter is most enlightening since there have been times and cutures in the past that have tolerated homosexuality in one form or another, until the Judeo-Christian worldview took root in Europe when the condemnation, and demonization, started which has lasted until this day among rightwing Christian groups.

The most interesting finding for me was that there seems to be no inherent or genetic distate for samesex practices. All is a matter of culture and social conditioning. This book should be appreciated by a wide audience, and should especially be read by professionals, such as doctors, to give them a proper prospective on the subject matter.
on 19 March 2013
I haven't read it yet, but considering it was a recommended by my professor, I think it must be good.