5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best shell books ever. RECOMMENDED!!, 22 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library) (Paperback)
Even though this book was originally published in 1990, it is still one of the best, well laid out and easy to follow books on shell programming. Unlike most, the style allows you to use it as either a "learn-by-example" or "reference" book. Well worth the price...
..mind you, the only problem I ever found with it was, people keep on stealing :) - I'm currently on my fifth copy !!

4.0 out of 5 stars First and only shell programming book I own, 22 May 1998
By A Customer
I bought this book when it was originally published back in 1990. I started with little programming experience, and no shell programming experience. It brought me up to speed quickly. I no longer write many shell scripts; however, I still use it as a desk reference when I do. For any UNIX system administrator, this book (or one just like it) is essential.
BTW, I have been looking for a better book all these years and haven't found one. It's not that I think this book is perfect, rather there just aren't many good books on this subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully easy to understand!, 28 July 2000
By A Customer
This was the second Shell Scripting book I bought and I wish I had it first. So easy to read and gets you up and running so quickly. I wish these guys would write books on awk and sed as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good .. but one flaw, 25 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This is a very useful and informative book. However, the 'self-test' exercises after most chapters do not have any given answers and this is not helpful - why have questions at all if no subsequent explanation is provided? The reader is left having to look elsewhere for clarification if an answer can't be worked out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give them shell, 30 Sep 2003
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
No book can be the end-all be-all in shell programming. Nevertheless, this one comes close. I used it to learn the basic understanding of UNIX. Then keep it as a reference. I even buy new copies of it as it is revised. The on line man pages used to give examples that worked; however there are not enough or not at all on some commands. This book has also contains the why and concepts of UNIX. It is better than those beginning to learn UNIX books are are and rivals the pure reference manuals. Some people go to sleep in classes and others have comprehension problems with a bunch of words. This book has simple workable examples that help you get on with your work. For the speed, you need and at a price you can afford, UNIX shell Programming is what you are looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book on Unix Scripting, 20 Jun 2002
KH (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
I recommend this book to anyone planning on learning Unix Shell scripting. The style is easy going and relaxed but very informative. It's useful as both a self paced training guide and general reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tool I would be broke with out, 8 Aug 2000
I was first introduced to this book 5 or so years ago and I still use it for a reference when ever I get stuck writing a script.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for any unix shell scripter, 14 Mar 2000
By A Customer
As an Oracle DBA this book was a great insight on how to write and understand shell scripting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have taught and used this book for over 5 years., 16 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I teach at a small college. My students have are inexperienced UNIX users. They love the book. The examples are understandable and helpfull.
I use the book as a reference. I find it equally invaluable. It sits on my bookshelf and is used almost daily. Both myself and mystudents find this book invaluable for new learning and reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars The defacto book to learn Unix Shell Programing, 5 Dec 2013
MikeyC "MikeyC" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this book for many years and recommend it as a starter to learn Unix shell programming. It is simply laid out and the examples are very clear. You will soon become confident with the elements of shell programming.

Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library)
Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library) by Patrick Wood (Paperback - 1 Dec 1989)
Used & New from: 0.01