Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now

on 2 February 2014
The book is well written and has a good pace. Everything is explained in detail and this provides a great experience. I didn't even have Unity downloaded before I picked this book up and by the time I finished it (about 3 weekends) I am confident in what I've learnt. Of course there is still the need to practice it which will be left up to me but I'm already fluent on some things that this book has taught me. The book initially takes you through the Unity IDE but gradually starts mixing in the scripts which are all discussed. If you've never done anything in C# (like me) then don't worry, it's all explained however I do come from a C/C++ background but I'm sure that this book would be fine for those with no experience.
on 5 February 2014
Mike Geig has writen a pretty awesome book here. I covers a lot of diffrent aspects in Unity - been playing around with Unity a bit before i startet the book, and followed lots of tutorials - but Mike Geig has with this book given me a much greater insight with the book. And there are game exampels how to make 3 or 4 simple games - so thats pretty cool. I've have quite a bit of coding experince - so the part in the book where he explains the fundemental parts of programming and you skip if you have progamming experince. But i think its a good idea to allow people who dont have any exerince with progamming to get startet and get some blood on the teeth to get startet. I can higly recommend this book - for you who want to get a good hold to Unity3D!
on 27 August 2014
Great book - I'm using Unity 4.5.2 to start off in game development and this covers all of the basics required to get you up to speed, including mobile development which is what I'm interested in. You actually build 4 complete working games in the book which gives you a really good insight into how Unity works. Really easy to follow, and using the Unity software becomes quite intuitive after 4 or 5 chapters. The only negative point I would make is that a couple of the later chapters (around animation) don't go into enough detail, although there's plenty of examples out there to supplement the book.
on 23 October 2015
Really good introduction into Unity. Please be aware that this applies to Unity 4 and there are a few different in the UI and programming side of things. However, they are easy to work out, and the language will often automatically update itself to suit Unity 5, so make sure you take notes (and edit the book with a pencil, if you're brave!)

You get to design 4 games in total, ending with a "Temple Run" style game, which is fun to try and customise afterwards.
on 7 August 2015
Really great if you want to learn Unity. Just beware that some of the code doesn't apply to version 5.
on 2 April 2014
I haven't found a better book for providing an overview and introduction to Unity than this one. Each 'hour' or chapter (some chapters warrant far more than an hour of your time in reality) covers a key aspect of Unity, from the UI, scripting, particles, animation and rigging, and more. It could be argued that most topics are covered fairly superficially, but that's inevitable given the scope of the program itself, and it's easy enough to search the internet for more detailed info once you have a basic grasp of things. The tone of the writing is good: a degree of humour but always focused on the learning points.

There are two criticisms I would make. The first is that, for me, the exercises given at the end of the first chapter on scripting presented an extremely unrealistic learning curve. Keeping in mind that this is largely aimed at people new to programming, you go from being introduced to the most basic C# syntax ("Hello World" etc.) to being expected to write problem-solving scripts based on the Fibonacci sequence and similar. From a learning perspective, I found these exercises so difficult that I questioned whether I'd learnt anything at all so far, and felt tempted to give up on the book. Fortunately, this is a complete one-off and I found the other chapter exercises very well balanced and useful.

The second criticism relates to the huge number of typos in the book. Mostly, these are just irritating rather than confusing, but there are a couple of errors that occur in scripts and exercises that could throw you off track for a moment. I guess you could consider them 'unplanned' challenges if you're feeling charitable! Nonetheless, a professionally produced book at this price point, or any price point for that matter, should not be littered with so many typos. Get a copy editor!

Those gripes aside, I have no reservation in recommending this book to anyone as an excellent and accessible beginner's guide to Unity. Go through it methodically from start to finish, take as much time as you need on each 'hour', and it really provides a strong grounding from which to explore further.

(Review of the print version)
on 24 May 2014
The book is a pretty good introduction and easy and fun to follow along. I would recommend it to anyone of any age wanting to learn about Unity, game development basics and some coding. However there are a lot of typos and mistakes in the first printing (November 2013) that might confuse some readers who are not more experienced in programming.
on 18 November 2015
Excellent manual, giving clear instructions on how to build your own computer game.
on 9 June 2014
Covers all the basics in manageable chunks. Easy to refer to. But to go further you will need to do a lot of reading elsewhere. Luckily the Unity forums are great!
on 7 January 2016