5.0 out of 5 stars ubuntu unleashed
A first text book which is proving most useful for my purpose. I wish to learn and then use Linux on my computer.
Published 2 months ago by edna ryan

Published 9 days ago by Mr. A. Shorthouse

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing - Tries to be Jack of all Trades - but masters None. Not recommended for those new to Linux - look elsewhere, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Ubuntu Unleashed 2014: Covering 13.10 and 14.04 (Paperback)
I bought this with the thought that it would be a comprehensive guide to Ubuntu. The author does state that the book is for those wishing to become intermediate or advanced users, although the inference is made that if you are computer literate you may need to learn new skills including occasionally how to use the command line. The author also warns that the book is there to assist you in researching further information online. As a long time Windows/DOS user (from the 80's) I am familiar with the command line and know how to partition drives etc. Where I do not have a great deal of knowledge is Linux.

In my opinion this book is all over the place, I am not sure who edited it, and if so did they actually read it?

As an example, Chapter 3 is titled working with Unity which is the name of the Graphical interface, However virtually the whole of this chapter is a fairly detailed explanation of the X Server which is the system which runs the GUI behind the scenes and how to configure these, although it does not really explain how you access these files in the first place. This is the first real chapter after installation and way before you have even been introduced to basic command line input.

OK as an experienced computer user I do not need massive detail on where to click etc in Unity but coming from Windows a bit more on the workings of the GUI would have made sense before we reprogram the XServer.

Likewise even the Chapter on Command Line Quickstart - you would have thought that a good starting point would be first how to access and amend the directory structure. But Navigating the File Structure is almost halfway in to the Chapter? OK as an experienced user I can skip paragraphs etc but surely someone has given thought to the overall structure of the book. Note this is difficult when you have a Kindle copy.

Whilst I can see why a chapter on Games was included - do we really need to be told of a few of the available games on Linux? Steam is not mentioned (possibly for copyright issues) and Wine is mentioned to run Windows games but with a warning on how complex this could be.

OK once you get to the chapters on Servers and Programming the book may become useful for Advanced Users, but the style/flow of writing makes me vary wary of this. As this book is an update of a number of previous Ubuntu Unleased books, I cannot understand why such issues have not been corrected before.

I suggest if you are migrating to Ubuntu - look elsewhere. If you are new to Ubuntu - look elsewhere. If you are a current Linux user and want to learn about Servers/Programming then this book may be useful but a warning that certain subjects are not really covered in depth. You may be better buying a book on the particular programming language you want to use rather than this.

By the way I managed to install Ubuntu on a Macbook/Dual Boot using information off the Internet prior to buying this book, and hoped the book would expand my knowledge for Ubuntu - but sadly not. If I had bought a hard copy I would be returning this.

Not sure why it is getting 5* reviews on amazon.com as I considered it to be an awful purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars ubuntu unleashed, 7 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly useful for a novice like me, 31 Mar 2014
Mr. Nv Brown "nigel brown" (inglatertra) - See all my reviews
I am getting less problems now with Linux , but when I do i always consult this book among others

Ubuntu Unleashed 2014: Covering 13.10 and 14.04
Ubuntu Unleashed 2014: Covering 13.10 and 14.04 by Matthew Helmke (Paperback - 15 Nov 2013)
21.07