Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2014
No one book can be perfect for everyone's needs, but this comes close. Clearly laid out (great use of colour), concise, very readable writing style, covers many topics - other writers could learn a lot from Ben Forta!
I had a good but rusty knowledge of database design, but limited knowledge of SQL. I found this book excellent in explaining SQL and, because of its concise and clear layout, it's ideal as a quick reference book.
There are some topics where you'll want to get more detail or background, so I also bought SQL Queries for Mere Mortals. However, I wouldn't be without Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes. Highly recommended.
on 12 March 2013
I wasn't exactly a newcomer to SQL but I'd picked up bits and pieces from using a company business intelligence program running on Microsoft SQL. This book primarily teaches "SELECT" techniques and touches on more advanced topics in the later chapters. As such it is perfect for people like myself who don't want to learn how to become a database designer but more of an analyst. The book itself is not very long at 22 chapters of about 4-6 pages each. It does get a little vague about certain concepts such as chapter 21 on cursors which I felt was inadequately covered. 10 minute lessons from this book have vastly improved my understanding of SQL. I can thoroughly recommend this to any newcomer to the language.
on 9 February 2015
This is a pretty good introduction and allows you to go from the very basics to intermediate level quite easily. Each chapter is really easy to follow with clear examples, and so you can just download the sample data from the appendix and follow along and experiment in your own DBMS as you go along. The only issue is that the sample database is quite short and limited, it would be better if the datasets there were larger. Also, shoudn't therbe a possessive apostrophe in the title?
on 26 October 2013
I need to learn SQL for work. This book has helped enormously.
Worth the money. Even more experienced colleagues use it for reference purposes.
on 4 April 2014
very easy to use and understand, laid out in a way that allows the lessons to be learned and referred back to easily. I am working on Oracle, but we are migrating to SQL server - and this book gives references to both which is helping with the translations.

Basic level users or people wanting to start using SQL should consider this a good starting point.
on 3 September 2015
The lessons are short and in manageable bites (bytes?) and it took me a couple of weeks to work through it in odd moments I wasn't doing other things. Can't say I'm an expert, but I now know how to write queries and do simple data manipulation. I liked the presentation and the colours, but did not appreciate the numerous typos and grammatical errors ('data' is a plural noun!). Still, all in all it was a worthwhile investment and gave me the skills to proceed.
on 23 May 2013
This is a really good introduction to SQL. I have been using SQL on various applications for a couple of years without formal training. This guide is easy to read and use and already has taught me some things in the first few chapters. It also points out differences in syntax for the same functions between different querying software. Everything is in bite-size chunks. Thoroughly recommended for those new to SQL querying.
on 22 April 2014
I previously tried to learn SQL from a popular yellow book, which was more full of terrible anecdotes and bizarre references vaguely linked to terms... terrible. This book is simple and straight to the point and easy to follow. All the information is there, it's just not padded out with waffle. Would reccomend to anyone that needs to learn SQL in a hurry!
on 8 November 2014
New to SQL, using this to dip when needed, can see has lots of very useful information.
on 25 October 2015
Really helpful book - written in straightforward language, with clear examples given. Far more helpful than official Microsoft tuition material. Took me from a total SQL novice to having a decent amount of knowledge. I now recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn SQL.