on 22 September 2013
As a technical writer myself I look at this book and know how much better it could be - before you say it, I'd write one myself if I knew how to code! It claims to be suitable for programming beginners; I've coded in VB, Modula-3, ML, PHP and Python before, and I found many of the early chapters incomprehensible.

The author gives poor, sometimes contradictory definitions of crucial concepts and immediately refers to them implicitly. If you don't already have a good idea of OOP terminology you'll quickly get lost. Many questions are left hanging open; this is typical of an author who is an expert on the subject and consequently has no empathy with the learning process for readers.

I'm left disappointed as this book really didn't live up to the expectations it set.
on 30 May 2013
I have found this book to be a great first step in understanding iOS6 and xcode. Definitely recommended for anyone starting on the journey of writing apps
on 7 May 2013
I was looking for an easy to follow introduction to storyboarding on Xcode as a start to programming IOS. Having coded VB, SQL, Crystal Reports many years ago and been out of the industry for some time now I spent much time reviewing many books and finally settled on this one and "Xcode primer - visual programming for iOS". I am very pleased I bought this one, about 10 chapters in and the storyboard tutorials are excellent, easy to follow and the code examples work!! If you are a novice programmer looking to learn storyboarding then this book is for you. In 3 days my knowledge of how to use the Xcode interface builder and its tools has come on leaps and bounds. I don't often write reviews like this but having gone through the exhaustive list of books on IOS and the far too few targeted at storyboarding, I know the difficulties encountered, particularly when every book always has at least one negative review. If you are a novice programmer looking to learn Xcode, this book is just what you need. At some point you will have to learn objective-c - probably better to learn beforehand, though I'm trying to do both in tandem (and this book is great at gently introducing the objective-c concepts). Even if on finishing the book I find it does have "holes" in its teachings, I don't think it will be a concern. I wanted a book to get me on the first few rungs of the IOS ladder and this book does the job brilliantly.
on 30 October 2013
Had this book for a while now and so I thought I'd update my initial review where I said it was disappointing.

The problem I had with it is that it does not make it very clear what you need to type to get the examples working, and what code is given to illustrate a point.

Generally each chapter starts off with a discussion about the topic for that hour, after the discussion comes the but you need to type. I didn't get that at first and so got very confused.
I'm about half way through the book and and so far the examples from the book seem to work as expected
on 10 July 2013
I must admit, the one hour chapters took a lot longer than an hour because the subject areas were so new to me, but it really did help me on th way coding my first app.
on 19 April 2015
Quite a dated book now with the release of IOS 8 and xcode has some differences, but the book is well written and generally was fairly helpful. I would like to move on to swift development and would look out for newer editions of this book, as I felt that the topics covered are fairly comprehensive
on 7 September 2013
Working through this book, I am approximately halfway. Learnt quite a lot from it. Background in other programming language would be an advantage though.

Obviously not in 24 hours lol