Format: PaperbackChange

on 3 January 2012
This book was pre ordered in late spring 2011 and after several delays arrived in December 2011. My initial flick through filled me with dismay and came close to returning the book as being incorrectly advertised.
The purchase was based on me wishing to get back into web development as a hobby, a subject I had not touched for nearly 10 years and the information supplied indicating I could use it to replace my very old HTML and Javascript books and bring myself somewhat up to date with only 1 book.
After all a newly published book on the subject, in 2011, has to contain the latest information hasn't it? To quote from the Amazon Product Description

Covers everything beginners need to know about the new HTML5 and CSS3 standards and today's JavaScript and Ajax libraries - all in one book, for the first time

In the introduction and "the scoop on HTML 5" it says its HTML 5 is still not a formalised standard and the author will say when the HTML4 elements are not used in HTML5. One example I have found the book does not deal with the new methods that HTML 5 uses for Video at all, but only the older method could be found under the heading of multimedia ( I did some research during the protracted wait).
At the start of the initial CSS chapter, the Author states that where ever CSS is mentioned she is referring to CSS 2.0. I flicked through and did not spot CSS 3.0 only CSS. An in depth read may uncover it.
A comparison table of differences was expected but as yet I have not found one.
I have no pre knowledge of JavaScript so cannot comment but it looks as though these sections are good.
Recently I managed to view a copy of the Authors older book (2009) 'Learn HTML and CSS in 24 hours' also with HTML 5 coverage labelled on the front cover. After a flick through I noted the new book contained sections that were verbatim copies of the older book placed into a traditional chapter format, including the same reference to HTML 5 not yet being a standard. The difference between the books seems to be mainly the chapter format instead of the 24 lessons and the addition of JavaScript.
Whilst the content is good in itself, I don't believe it is as advertised in the Product Description in relation to HTML5 and CSS 3, hence the 1 star.
on 15 November 2013
fast delivery time and good tutorial sections for beginners HTML and CSS. The Javascript though took a few re reads to fully understand so perhaps could have been laid out a bit better for the absolute beginner hence only 4 star rather than 5
on 26 October 2013
I just started a course at University were we use this book - it is wonderful and I especially love the quiz at the end of all chapters so you can check up on yourself!
on 2 April 2014
Best Book out of all the books I got

very very Good

very simple and easy to read and comprehensive
on 24 February 2015
Sams excellent beginners book for coding highly recommend.
on 17 December 2011
So far I've read the introduction to this book and so far it's a great book and as I get further into this book I can imagine it to get very in depth and to be a very good book. I've been a fan of SAMS books now for a while and i now know how to code in php, but then fora while I've been wanting to extend my knowledge on HTML & CSS but then i saw they where bringing this book out with javascript included so thought ill pre-order it and get it maybe a day early like I've done in the past with books and computer games but no i was wrong only today have i got this book on the 17th of December also Amazon said it would be here on the Friday the 16th. So far I've waited 2 months for this book to get from an Amazon warehouse to my home. I know this is not Amazons fault due to I tried to order this book from two good book stores I knew (WHSmith's and Waterstones but they where also saying that they where going to be selling them but they hadn't got them from their supplier yet.) The only reason I was a little disappointed with Amazon was that they didn't let me know why my book wasn't going to be here for two months and I don't believe they tried there hardest to get this book from the supplier to their warehouse to my home so sorry Amazon it's only two stars today ** but I wish you would have kept me a little more informed on a package that I had paid for. Ill have to say that I'm also a little disappointed in SAMS for not getting this book finished in time or not getting a supplier to make enough books printed in the time they wanted them for. If a company like activision set a date for call of duty to come out and then a month before said "owe no sorry where going to have to delay it by two months because we can't either get enough copies made in that time or we haven't finished programming yet", there would be a huge up raw. I hope you don't do this again SAMS so I wont have to give you another negative review. Also same with Amazon I hope you keep me a little more informed next time. *NEW REVIEW* After a month of reading this book i would now have to say wow what a great book for a beginner i am an intermediate programmer but I've previously programmed in languages like C++ and Objective-C. Then i decided i wanted to learn a dedicated code to web development because i wanted to start my own business so people know what i can do with things like iOS apps. So i decided to get this book so i could make my own website and yes the delivery on this book was terrible but i wanted to get this book so i could also learn a bit of HTML, CSS & java script instead of just HTML and CSS so i decided to wait for this book to be delivered to me instead of cancelling and just overall this is a great book. Ive almost finished it and I've learnt so much so I've decided to order another SAMS book and another book by Julie C. Meloni the PHP, Apache and MySQL I'm still waiting for the delivery but i can imagine it to be a great book like this one and hopefully it will teach me a lot hope this review is better.
33 comments0 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse