4.0 out of 5 stars Sam Teach yourself Visual Basic 2010 in 24 hours
I have just puchased this book and completed the chapter that covers the first hour . I also browsed through the whole book.

Published on 17 Sep 2010 by Sam

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
It got me started but not enough detail. If you are a total beginner then this is not the best one to buy
Published 15 months ago by simon lee

4.0 out of 5 stars Sam Teach yourself Visual Basic 2010 in 24 hours, 17 Sep 2010

First I must say that whatever I have covered so far has been perfectly explained and I found no errors and everything works perfectly. As a teacher I must comment that the book has been written very well and there are enough illustrations. The excellent thing about this book is that it is written for Visual Basic Express which is freely available and a copy of it comes with the book too! So as it says it is a complete starter kit! It is quite enjoyable to work through the sections too. I think some familiarity with previous versions of Visual Basic will be helpful, although the book explains the important points.

On the negative side, I am very disappointed not to find any chapter in this book on how to make your program produce printed output (reports etc)! This is very surprising as most programs would not be useful without being able to produce any printed output/reports etc!

The second thing that needs improving is to expand the section on databases and to include an in-dept chapter on Web applications as this is so important these days.

Despite the above problems I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Visual Basic 2010, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2010 in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit (Sams Teach Yourself...in 24 Hours) (Paperback)
A very fine book, written by an author with indepth subject knowledge. No errors have been detected. Perhaps just one comment, it would have been very helpful if the companion code had been included on the enclosed DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Investment, 2 July 2014
Great book that gets you off to a fast start. Definitly recommended for those getting started with Visual Basic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 30 Mar 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Visual Basic 2010 about it, 29 Mar 2013
Michael Macneil (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
First of all, this author, along with quite a few others does a C# version of the book too, and to be honest they are virtually identical with the predictable removal of "C# is the language of choice for .NET" - that said, the C# version even has some un-edited VB in it where the copy and paste went wrong. The vast majority of the text of the book would have been at home within a QuickBasic tutorial (for those of us who can remember, that is 1989). There is virtually no difference in editions either from the 2008, 2010, 2012 etc which is also a pattern with these SAMS books. The author patently fails in his assertion you are going to build on a single example and i cannot see where he took previous comments on board to improve the previous editions!

You do not really learn anything but the most basic of Visual Basic syntax which you are likely to get in the first couple of review chapters in a better reference - there is nothing here about the ".NET" part of VB at all really, the OO parts, except in passing. Even the chapter on objects never really gets going. If you really want a VB book from SAMS for beginners that does a good job, then get the original 'Teach Yourself Visual Basic.NET in 21 days' (Duncan Mackenzie amd Kent Sharkey), you can pick it up for pennies now and the authors are recognised experts within the community, the follow-up books to this were not the same authors, i guess they did too good a job or did not get paid enough - it really does a good job of getting you programming ".NET" rather than procedural Basic/C# using the .NET editor. For something that deals with the real innovations within .NET for VB programmers then the Wrox Professional VB2005 with .NET 3 is a great choice which again can be got so cheap now.

This book or the C# version, is only good at making you realise you need a better book to learn Visual Basic ".NET", "beyond the scope of this book" is a favourite phrase that occurs repeatedly within the VB/C# versions. Only buy if you want to buy another book straight after you finish this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 6 Feb 2013
A very interesting book which has given me the information I needed. It arrived on time and was well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, clearly layed out and easy to follow, 24 Jan 2013
Great book, arrived on time and in condition as described. Very impressed with the books clear layout with wasy to follow steps. Particularly like the way the book builds on an example created in first chapter, in subsequent chapters. Would definitelty recommend to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good coverage, good to catch up with, 11 Sep 2012
SaturdayScience (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have used various products for programming over many years - but am not a computer programmer. It is some time since I looked at programming in 'Windows' and have memories of VB6 and VBA.

This book provided a good coverage of topics that should enable most people to have their first project up and running with. For my next project I wanted to create some fixed drawings from code (select outlines of boxes or cylinders type stuff) - there is quite sufficient coverage to allow me to do that. I also want to link to (simple) but true databases ( to look material properties and record results of calculations). Again sufficient information to allow me to do that is in this book.

What I really appreciate is the understanding of how .NET is organised. How to get at those things I have vague recollection about (particularly file IO). The 'new' error handling structure (try, catch & finally) has been helpful.

Much if the if..then..else; do..while etc I was familiar with, along with events.

So for me this book has been worth the money, and no doubt I will use it for reference until my fluency is regained.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1, 19 April 2012
It's a decent book for getting started, i did study VB many years ago but a bits changed since then so i broguht this book just to jump back in to the new version.

My primary area for re-learning was saving data and this book covers ADO.net for saving in a database but you need to create the database in Access which was no good to me since i don't have Microsoft Office Professional 370. Or MS Access 90

I wanted to use the database features included in VB but they don't seem to work using the method the book shows (I might be doing something wrong there but)

I have other tutorials online which have helped me through my troubles.

This book is a great source though for getting into VB, the DVD comes with an official copy of Visual basic express and as mentioned by others it would be better if the project codes came on a CD however you can register to the website and type the code provided and you can download a zip file with everything in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for newbies, 11 Mar 2011
This book is a great resource for newbie programmers of which I am one. The book is split down into hours hence the 24 hours and comes complete with a DVD with the visual basic programme on it for you to use.

The style is well written and easy to follow and have the usual call outs hightlighting important parts and bringing potential pit falls to your attention. The authour has set the book out to build up and introduce new concepts in each chapter which he does in a way that gives examples and then allows you to use the new tecniques. There is also a summary and quiz at the end of each chapter.

I have completed the first two chapters, or hours, and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I can't wait to get though the whole book! Recommended.