on 14 June 2011
Having been a C# developer for many years (learning the fundamentals from a previous version of this book!), I was asked about this book for a friend who was interested in 'converting' from VB to C#. They said they's had a few problems understanding the book and when I started reading it I was horrified at the the standard of this text. Having seen previous versions (2005, 2008) which were brilliant, I couldn't believe that Sams had put this rubbish out there.

It is NOT suitable for the beginner and from very early on in the book talks about concepts without properly explaining them. Then you get to the end of chapter 'hands-on' tests and you are asked to perform tasks that haven't even been covered by that point.

Although the language has moved on since 2005 & 2008, personally I would get your hands on either the 2005 version (ISBN: 0672327406) or 2008 (ISBN: 0672329905) to learn the basic concepts behind C# before moving onto this book and tackling the more advanced areas of the language.
on 4 October 2010
I've experience with C++ and Visual Basic and have recently started the move to C# and brought this book to teach me the basics and get me going.

I have not got one with it at all. I used Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2005 in 24 Hours, Complete Starter Kit and found it excellent, but this isn't up to scratch in my view. The language is pretty difficult to understand and refers to complex code components without properly defining them.

This I would not say is a beginners guide and is not as good as others in the series. Look elsewhere if you're wanting to learn C#.
on 26 May 2011
I can strongly recommend the c# 2008 guide in the same serie. But this book can not be recommended. You do not learn anything about Windows GUI programming, and all the language descriptions are at a very high and abstract level. The book is aimed at programmers with very good knowledge of OOP techniques and who are familiar with Windows GUI programming methods. Most of the material in the first few chapters do not handle basic programming problems but rather highly specialized problems with no everyday relevance.
on 30 June 2014
An absolutely appalling book. It seems to be thrown together with little regard to the beginner. The title is highly optimistic and I believe the author completely forgot about timescales when writing it.

For example: chapter 3 is 30 pages long. That's 2 minutes per page. How is anyone supposed to read it and understand everything in that time frame? And you are supposed to program in that time too. And understand what is going on in the program- and YOU have to figure out what is going on because the book certainly doesn't explain it for you.

Chapter 2 is fine right up until the last exercise when it asks you to code something using some techniques that haven't even been dealt with yet.

"Write a console application that demonstrates the difference between value types and reference types. The application should declare two integer variables and two object variables of type LightHouse. For the object variables, create a new class file named LightHouse.cs and replace the generated code for LightHouse with the following code"....

I mean seriously? After looking at the example code I had an idea what was going on, but there is no way I could actually have written it from such a pathetic task description, never mind the fact that I didn't know what to code in the first place because it hadn't even been covered.

Chapter 1 is ok, and chapter 2 is fine up until the pont above. I'm on chapter 3 and 10 pages and one hour in. 20 pages go. I'm thinking of giving up.... I don't believe it can get any better.
on 2 August 2013
Although not a terrible book, don't think that if you've just started C# you will be able to read this book with no problem.I've been doing C# for 4 years now during college and university and many terms are not explained properly, and are then referred constantly throughout different chapters which then leads to the whole paragraph/section your reading being very intimidating and confusing. Also the "Try It Yourself" tasks can be some what difficult and very poorly laid out which can become difficult to even finish. If you're a beginner I would try looking at another book such as the C# for Dummies book or something similar like that.
on 4 May 2015
Cannot recommend this book. The first half really should be at the back as an appendix !! Infants don;t learn to speak by first being
instructed about noiuns verbs, past imperfect etcl they just do-it. Also there are far too few examples of how to use the C# elements.
I suspect this book will sit on my shelf gathering dust and I will get help from elsewhere if needed.
on 11 October 2012
I have used other books from Sams in the past and been happy with them, however, this book feels a lot like it has been slapped together from other sources. More than once it seems to reference something else in the book that just isn't there. It is still usable to a point it just makes things trickier than they need to be.
on 20 October 2013
I have been a proficient C programmer for many years, but with regret I find this book has parts missing, I had to take reference from other sources to try and understand topics discussed in the text, there are references made to items that do not even appear at all with in the book.
on 10 December 2015
I found this to be a tremendously useful resource and I still refer to it. Well written, clear and concise it really will help you get to grips with C#.
on 10 August 2015