on 3 January 2011
As a person with relatively good, but out of date, knowledge of HTML, this book was fantastic at bringing me up to date and setting me up to create my own modern websites.
It does not assume prior knowledge (except you will need to know the basics of computers, the internet etc.) but also manages not to bore when covering the 'easy stuff' if you do already know some stuff. It uses well thought out examples throughout the book to illustrate every new topic, and the topics are arranged in a very sensible order. Chapters are long enough to be detailed, but short enough not to drag.
The style is informative and clear, without being patronising, the information up to date, but with enough description of deprecated-but-still-in-use items to ensure you will be able to create great new HTML5-compliant sites while still being able to understand and maintain older sites.
The step-by-step guide to installing all of the (free, open source) tools that you will need to do basic web publishing is excellent and ensures this book is a great one-stop-shop to getting your own website online. It does a good job of not assuming you are using the tools it suggests, though, which is often a problem with other 'teach yourself' style books.
On the basis of this book, I will definitely be looking to get hold of other titles by these authors, and this publisher.
on 12 March 2011
I bought this book having no previous experience of writing HTML code. My initial intent was to quickly read relevant sections and gain sufficient knowledge to understand how to read the code behind already written web pages !!. I have to say this book definitely allowed me to do that.
I had previously sourced a domain name through one of the major Web hosting companies which also provided many Free sets of software that I then used to construct my Web site. The free software I used was sufficiently sophisticated to allow me to construct my site using mainly a WYSIWYG font page (in theory NOT needing any HTML understanding). I did however manage to construct an acceptable Web site, (learning on the job so to speak !!, and having the help of online video pages. The software package I used also allowed me the option to view and change the written code behind each of the screens. (Getting back to why I purchased this book !).
I can say that the book has been a real "eye opener" into how best to use HTML, but also how to link it, and make use of other code i.e. CSS. I have ended up reading all of the chapters, (nearly in the order as written), VERY WELL SET OUT ! and relatively easy to understand !. Also I wish I had waited until I had read the book before starting with the Web construction. I have recently obtained a copy of Adobe "Dreamweaver" and am currently re-hashing my site.
Although Dreamweaver is a professional site and is now making Web building much easier, having the ability to understand the use of HTML code is proving to be very beneficial.

In conclusion a must read book, very well set out, does what is says on the tin !!
on 3 January 2014
Would be better if their where full projects in the books from start to finish of a website to the point of uploading