4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect...almost, 11 Jan 2008
Mr. M. Hassan (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed (Hardcover)
I first found out that Mr Walther was writing this book 2 months ago; without thinking I immediately reserved it, which is how I've managed to obtain a copy of it already.

Mr Walther gives the reasons for producing this book: It's now written in C#; it has a chapter dedicated to LINQ to SQL; there are now 3 new chapters on AJAX.

If you search for .Net jobs, you'll find that most of them ask for C#; I had heard of LINQ but wasn't sure what it was. After reading about it in this book, not only was it brilliantly explained, but the examples provided gave me the confidence to be able to code in it; I had bought a couple of books on AJAX and pretty much knew about it, but after reading the chapters in this book, I've sold them off! That's how good this book is.

So why four out of five? I was hoping that 3.5 Unleashed would be as much different from 2.0 then that was from 1.0 (yes I'm a fan of Mr Walther). But a lot of the material was the same. This is no way a form of criticism, but as Mr Walther has said "ASP.Net is a dying technology". He has written as much as he could on it. I was going to suggest that he write about AJAX unleased, but apparently it already has. Also there are many books on it so the material wont be much different.

This is why he HAS to write about Silverlight Unleashed! That is the application that will be huge in the future. Also from what I read, the Unleashed book [written by someone else] wasn't good. So if Mr Walther can write on it and provide application examples for that, I guarantee that will be an International Best Seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brillian Book Makes Best Of Very Big Subject, 4 Jan 2009
This review is from: ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed (Hardcover)
This is a brillian book. I would like to rate it 5 star, but the problem is ASP.Net it to big to fit in one book. The book covers a lot of detail on a lot of subjects. The examples are just right. The full code for examples is supplied so you don't have to spend hours figuring out how to get the example code into a working piece of code, but there is no space waisted with irrelevant case studies. The down side to this is that the print only contains C# samples (though VB.Net is available on the supplied disk) but I'm a C#er in anycase. The result of such a large book is a whopping 1890 pages. But, necessary and well worth it, even if it did contribute to breaking the shoulder strap of my bag. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round ASP.NET Book, 14 Nov 2009
M. Fisher - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed (Hardcover)
This book is an excellent all round book and also works well as a quick reference. I find Steven Walther's explanations are a lot easier to understand than some other ASP.NET authors. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Contents, great explanations, 5 Mar 2010
Mr. Millan Alonso (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed (Hardcover)
Loved the book! still using it! the contents are great, and so the explanations, a must have!

ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed
ASP.NET 3.5 Unleashed by Stephen Walther (Hardcover - 28 Dec 2007)
Used & New from: £3.59