4.0 out of 5 stars Use in conjunction with others
Published on 1 Jun 2011 by MonkeyD

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for the novice.
Published on 15 Jun 2010 by AmazonianBob

4.0 out of 5 stars Use in conjunction with others, 1 Jun 2011
This review is from: PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library) (Paperback)
I have finally managed to make it through the first 2 chapters. What i learnt in those first 2 chapters covered up to 120-130 pages of the the Sams PHP, MySql and Apache book. I have found the book to be a little challenging in those 2 chapters and have decided to step down a notch to Larry Ullman's PHP 6 and MySql 5 book. The problem i found was that some of the syntax used was not clearly explained so i was sat there thinking why is that there, then continually referring to websites to understand why.

An example of this is in this example code.

echo "<tr>
<td align=\"right\">".$distance."</td>
<td align=\"right\">".($distance/10)."</td>
</tr>\n";

There is no explanation why the backslash is used, but after reading Larry's book, which this is covered on page 6, i now know it's an escape.

On a positive note this book's examples are really useful and once i have learnt the basics a bit more i will be returning to the book to further advance my knowledge and use the examples in my project sites.

My advice is try a simpler book first if your are new to PHP and use this book to build upon that knowledge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for the novice., 15 Jun 2010
This book states that it is suitable for beginners yet it clearly assumes some previous knowledge of php. 30 pages in I find myself looking blankly at the page all to frequently having been baffled at what seems like a soup of meaningless words. I will be keeping this book as it is fairly well written and seems quite comprehensive, I look forward to getting back into it after I find a book that can hold my hand whilst I take baby steps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for learning PHP and MYSQL, 3 Oct 2009
Charles Dixon "Cyberoak" (North East England) - See all my reviews
Well written, well organised, clear, precise - not full of useless waffle like many guides - over 900 pages of solid information. I can highly recommend this book for beginners and experienced programmers.

I bought the book to help me quickly learn PHP for web development (I'm an experience programmer in other languages). I found the book to be very useful; it doesn't stop with simplistic basics, but discusses real development issues, like security for example. Also, although I am trained and experienced in SQL databases, I found the information provided for SQL syntax and using MYSQL with PHP pages clear and informative. I think this section would be especially useful for anyone new to SQL.

2.0 out of 5 stars A gold mine but the entrance is blocked, 20 Feb 2011
When I read throught this book I was favourably impressed as it seemed to cover everything I wanted to know. I thought it was the bee's knees until I actually started to use it. I have done hobby programming in C, assembler and Java but no web programming. The first snag came when following the installation instructions for PHP on Windows. I quote from page 903:

"Now follow these steps:

1. In the main directory, you will see a file called php.exe and one called php5ts.dll. You need these files to run PHP as a CGI. If you want to run it as a SAPI module instead, you can use the relevant DLL file for your web server: php5apache2_2.dll in this case.

The SAPI modules are faster and easier to secure; the CGI version allows you to run PHP from the command line. Again, the choice is up to you."

Do you see anything wrong with step 1? Well, there is no step! There is no instruction given. There is some information but they do not tell you what to do with it. I decided to ignore it and proceed with the installation and was successful to the extent that the test.php script which calls phpinfo() actually worked.

So I went back to page 14 and typed in the sample application consisting of orderform.html and processorder.php. The scripts would not work; Firefox could not find processorder.php. Apparently the scripts have to be saved in a particular directory but the book does not tell you that! Returning to the installation instructions, on page 904 I found a reference to the doc_root directive which suggested to me that maybe my scripts should be saved in htdocs. But when I tried this I got a "permission denied" error from Windows. I wiped the software off, installed EasyPHP and tried out the sample application again using the files on the book's CD. That did not work either; Firefox found the php script but displayed the source rather than the output. By now the cloud of uncertainty in my mind which formed at "Step 1" above had grown to a thick fog. I went online and found the internet littered with plaintive calls for help from people with the same problems but alas no clear answers.

So I am very disappointed; installation and configuration are of crucial importance and obviously cause problems for a lot of people. The book gives 9 or 10 pages of instructions on compiling and installing from source for Linux but anyone who wants to do this probably does not need these pages so I feel it should really give more help with basics such as where to save your scripts.
This book may well be a gold mine of information but for me the entrance has caved-in. If I ever get past the entrance then I may give it a higher rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good. I recommend it!, 24 Feb 2014
Easy language and flow easy to follow with real examples applicable in many situations.

I recommend it! For beginners specially.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 15 Nov 2013
I'd got past beginner level with PHP, and I was looking for a book to take me further. This is definitely it. It covers PHP basics very quickly and efficiently – great as a refresher, but I'm not sure how helpful it would be for a novice. Probably not a problem if you're familiar with JavaScript etc. The style is clean and comprehendible, the exercise files are easy to find and download (this can be a problem with other books).
It's very thick, and the text is quite small – I wound up buying the Kindle version, too, for portability and legibility. Still, in the morass of PHP books out there, this one delivers the goods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase, 28 Jan 2013
Very good book. It gives a clear and smart view of php and web developing. I have not read it completely but untill now it is not disapointing me. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars WEB DESIGN, 15 Jun 2012
A perfect book for an introduction to mysql and php based web design. This book not only explains the basics of mysql and php but gives working examples broken down in stages with clear explanations. This is probably the best introduction to php and mysql you can buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Book itself is a great resource for PHP and MySQL, 27 April 2012
Very pleased with the book the only thing it arrived a bit late with respect to the arrival day. Overall worth buying it. I strongly recommend it to all CMS designers and Joomla web developers.

5.0 out of 5 stars My PHP bible, 7 Oct 2011
Mark Cassie "cotsweb.com" (Stow on the Wold, UK) - See all my reviews
I have just bought the 4th edition after using the 1st edition for years. I referred to the old book at least a couple of times a week and the new one is even better; bringing it up to date with PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.1 but also adding more detail about things like security and AJAX. The new book is 100 pages bigger than the 1st edition.

For me this book is perfect, I'm an experienced programmer but not a PHP guru and I find the level about right. I mostly look up PHP functions etc online but if I need an explanation about where and why I might use this function I go to the book.

If you are not a total beginner and want one good PHP book I would recommend this one.

ARRAY(0xa82ea2e8)

PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library)
PHP and MySQL Web Development (Developer's Library) by Laura Thomson (Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)