5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for beginners
Published on 22 Dec. 2009 by H

3.0 out of 5 stars Very limited HTML coverage
This book provided a good, structured start to my journey learning about HTML. I found the pace a little slow and I soon realised I could learn a lot from just looking at the source-code of a website and messing around with it using Firebug (a firefox add-on).

Published on 9 May 2011 by Mr. Mark D. Crow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for beginners, 22 Dec. 2009
H (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Paperback)
I knew some html before I picked up this book, but it was really only enough to get by. I've looked in many places to try and get some decent knowledge behind me but found everything to be really dry, too technical or not enough working examples for you to try. I picked up this book and HTML/XHTML for Dummies, and I have to say I'm far more impressed by this book than I am the Dummies book. Dummies is 'supposed' to assume that you have no knowledge of HTML, but for my money it makes far too large a leap in its expectations of what the user should know. If I didn't already have some knowledge of HTML I would have been absolutely stumped.

However, SAMS book is a complete revelation! It starts off assuming you know nothing and takes you through very methodically and without patronising you. It doesn't get bogged down in technical language, making it very easy to read. I am only a quarter of the way through the 24 hours but I've learnt so much since I started it yesterday. I even managed to publish a very basic but hierarchical website online last night. I'm not saying that everyone will be able to do that as quickly as I did, because as I said, I already had a basic knowledge due to the fact that I have my own blog and domain, and have been playing about with them for a couple of months. However, this is the first time I've ever managed to set up a site from scratch without the use of themes.

In my opinion, this is THE book to buy if you know absolutely nothing about HTML/XHTML and CSS. A great investment indeed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners and hobbyists, for too pedestrian for experienced and professional designers, 9 May 2007
M. McManus - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Paperback)
I went from having absolutely no knowledge of HTML to being able to design a commercial website, and also managing to get a job that required extensive HTML coding, largely due to this book. This book is ideally suited for the beginner, and goes into surprising depth about how to code with HTML, building up gently with lots of practical examples. Everything from font types to embedding floating graphics and videos is covered. There are also step-by-step instructions and exercises, with illustrations to help out, although they are in black and white. The only thing I didn't like about this book was the end of unit "tests" could be a little brief and not especially useful/challenging, and I also found the index of HTML code at the end rather poorly organised. Also, the fact that the illustrations were in black and white meant that when you did the exercises on coloured fonts and backgrounds, you could never be sure if you had gotten the result which the author planned for you to get. However, I liked much more of the book that I disliked, and would recommend it to all beginners. More advanced users may find it too pedestrian though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fastest Learn Ever, 23 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Paperback)
I signed up with the Open University for a Web Design course and when the course book arrived I got more than a little concerned. The opening paragraph stated that the course assumed the student was already familiar with HTML and I wasn't. I read a lot of book reviews on learning HTML and settled on this one. Thankfully it arrived in record time and I went into rapid read and learn mode. Boy, am I glad I bought this book. Within a week I had masterd the art of HTML coding and had my first website up and running. Without this book I would have given up on the OU course.
A great book. Easy to follow and logically structured.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic for those who know nothing, 19 July 2007
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Paperback)
I bought this book with no idea about htm of css and have got to rips with it really easily. It has good discriptions about more or less everthing you need to know. I am amazed at what I have achieved in a few hours then a few weeks. Highy recommened.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very limited HTML coverage, 9 May 2011
Mr. Mark D. Crow (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The main problem about this book is that the added HTML 5 coverage is very limited indeed. Basically, they have added short notes about HTML 5 to the margins of various sections (so whole sections of chapters can be disregarded because of developments in HTML 5). This is not very useful and just makes the whole process of learning HTML quite confusing. For that reason I would choose a different book if I were starting again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 20 Aug. 2010
Before I ordered this book I had no knowledge or understanding of HTML/CSS and after a couple of weeks I know enough to build a basic website. I wouldn't suggest this book is all you will need as it doesn't cover different software available to create websites, but it's a great start - an introduction - without being overwhelming for the newcomer. I'd highly recommend it for the novice, however, it might be a little too basic for someone who already has some knowledge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad start..., 13 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Paperback)
A very good book if you're looking into the basic's of of HTML and CSS, as I was. The chapter definitions in a per hour basis really make sure you have a milestone! I thought the HTML section was far more detailed than CSS BUT CSS is a very complex subject and I would therefore suggest if you're looking to get into the depth of it move on to a more complex book after this. If you've bought Dreamweaver CS4 and want to really understand how to become a great web developer then you must buy "Dreamweaver CS4 The missing manual", it is an incredibly in-depth but well written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Simple and easy to understand without being patronising!, 9 Jan. 2008
S. Atkinson (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours (Paperback)
This book is fabulous! It is laid out in an easy to follow format and explains everything you need to do and why it is like that! Nothing is assumed but it doesn't have that patronising tone either. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to do their own website..I'm making great progress with mine!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Makes it so easy!, 10 July 2010
I genuinely knew zero about HTML/CSS before opening this book. I wanted to learn about it in order to make a website for myself. For a book on HTML, it really was not dry as I expected. It was written in a conversational tone, with humour in all the right places, but most importantly it taught me a lot, if not everything I need to know, in a very short space of time. The writers are obviously not just good at web design, but are thoroughly good teachers too! I would recommend to everyone, even if you're just curious about what all this HTML/CSS lingo is about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 9 Mar. 2011
Has been a really useful resource! Perfect for my commute to work doing an hour a day - great for a designer wanting to move more into HTML and CSS from beginning to end

Thanks Sam

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself HTML and CSS in 24 Hours by Michael Morrison (Paperback - 14 Dec. 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01