on 8 March 2006
Well, I have had this book now for a while, I have read through it and I can say it is a handy book to have. It doesn't claim to be the definative guide, it doesn't contain fancy graphics. What it does contain though is over 20 short lessons that give you an understanding of what CSS is about and the kinds of things that can be achieved.
I would recommend this title for beginners as it doesn't drown you in technicalities, it addresses the core of what beginners would want to know such as positioning, box models and background images to name but a few.
This book will not teach you all there is to know but it will give examples on how to achieve each of the subject areas addressed.
I read the book cover to cover, it didn't take that long and it is surprising what has lodged in my head. I now have a deeper understanding of what is possible and the code needed to achieve it.
It's worth it's price.
on 13 June 2006
This is the best introduction to any computing subject that I have ever read. It explains first principals logically and clearly, which is useful even if you have used CSS before.

It is not intended as a reference guide and once you've read it you will probably almost never refer to it again; so you will need a second book, or use the web for reference.

However, even though I only read it once, it was definately worth the money.
on 7 August 2007
The book covers all the basics of CSS that you would think of, and shows you how to do things through ten minute sessions that allow you to pick the ideas and techniques that are in the book very easily.
on 27 June 2013
This book is a real confidence booster. I bought this to prepare for an interview test and successfully showed enough knowledge to get me a 2nd interview for a job which require some knowledge in CSS.
on 10 June 2007
I had been trying for some time to get my head around css page layout. As I have Dreamweaver 8 I found that I had come to rely on tables to a large extent but was unhappy with the overall clumsiness of using this format. I have bought several books on css but always felt there was no logical progression in what I read. Well this book has done it for me! It has filled in all the gaps - now my documents validate immediately!!!

The book that is the missing link.
on 21 June 2009
This book was of great help when I built my first dynamic website.

I created my dynamic site using easygen - but needed some extra help on styling consistency across the many pages on my site. This is when I found out about CSS.

I purchased the SAM's teach yourself book and in 1 day I learnt more than I had done in the previous month trawling the net.

As others say - it's not the definitive guide, but it certainly is a great starting point, even if you have little to no HTML experience.

I would recommend this book and also the style of the SAM's teach yourself range which I have purchased other.