5.0 out of 5 stars Regex Beginner Dream Book!
Published on 10 Nov. 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to much a dream, more a nightmare
One of the other reviewers refers to this book as a "beginner dream book". It isn't, unless "dream" can be taken to include "nightmare".
Published 18 months ago by Nick Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Regex Beginner Dream Book!, 10 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself Regular Expressions in 10 Minutes (Sams Teach Yourself...in 10 Minutes) (Paperback)
I started reading Friedl's book which is the acknowledged Regex bible, however I found it quite heavy going. Based on customer ratings I ordered this little book by Ben Forta and was amazed at how much he covered in such a few pages, and with such stunning clarity. This book is a must if you are a regex newbie. Even if you've used regular expressions before but are a bit rusty, this book is fantastic value for money. It definitely deserves 5 stars. BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It Says On The Tin, 25 Feb. 2006
This book has been invaluable to me. Obviously, if you want the whole shebang then get the O'Reilly book written by Friedl, but if you just need to know the basics or something to dip in and out of quickly then I would recommend this.
I've liked others in the 10 minutes series, and I'm glad I got this. I use Regex all over the place now, truly invaluable to know if you work with any text that needs manipulation. At the end of 1 day I'd finished the book and was doing stuff I couldn't have had a hope of doing before.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 22 July 2004
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This tackles a complex subject really well. It provides a series of short, manageable 10 minute lessons that breaks the subject down into easily manageable chunks.
Very good value and a self-help book that really is easy to follow and get the most from. Richly deserves 5* rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book to read for regular expressions scardey cats, 13 Dec. 2004
I had an incomplete understanding of regular expressions and was looking for a book that I could apply quickly for a work project. This book fitted the bill exactly, covering the essential features of regular expressions in 10 short lessons, with no prior knowledge assumed. On the down side, there are a few typos, but none that really confuse. A bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't know regular expressions - buy this book, 14 Dec. 2004
An excellent introduction to regular expressions that covers the main features in just 10 lessons. Superb, I fear regular expressions no more!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, Quick and Easy REGEX, 16 May 2008
Good value for money.
Gets into regex pretty quickly (not too much waffle on intro pages).
Provides clear simple explanations.
Small book but this covers everything I am ever likely to need / use.

Recommended for those that want to crack on and use regex in every day tasks as opposed to those that wish to become an authority on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to much a dream, more a nightmare, 9 July 2013
I am far from an expert in regex - only just past the tyro level. Yet there were several places where the book rather worried me, because it meant that the little I thought I knew must have been wrong. Fortunately for my self-esteem, trying the problem examples out in a test harness demonstrated that it was nearly always the book that was wrong, rather than me.
I'm sure that Ben Forta knows vastly more about regular expressions than I do, but I can only conclude that either he or his editors skimped on proof-reading, as the book is packed with typographical errors. And in a book about regular expressions, that is unforgivable - regex is about absolute precision, and can stand or fall on a missplaced space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to the subject, 5 April 2011
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Although now long out of print (it was published in 2004) it is still available from many specialist suppliers. Small and thin in size, it is perhaps best described as 'pocket sized'.

Its coverage of the subject is perhaps the most complete that I have seen, but there may be better. If there is, I don't know of it! There are some things that could perhaps be added, covered in more detail, better explained etc but that is just about always true of any book such as this. It is not what I would call bedtime reading but if you work with Javascript, perhaps in programming or more especially when trying to extract data from Javascript sources, this book will be a useful and valued addition.

Although Javascript has moved on slightly since this was first published, I don't think that anything within is now invalidated. If it cannot provide ALL the answers, it will certainly provide some. Buy it or read it for the information contained within and then, if necessary, there are a few web sources that may provide the infill. Some basic information will be duplicated but without the book, there may not be sufficient explanation.

If you need it, get it while you can. It will not break the bank or burst your library system. Its contents are valuable.

Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy Read. Came in Handy, 24 Mar. 2014
Pa Herbert "Herbie" (Leeds, W. Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
An Easy Read. Concise and with very good examples. Got the Kindle version which makes it even more convenient when out and about

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and sweet, 14 Oct. 2013
I have read a lot of computer related books over the years. A lot of them I read once and then never again, or in the worst case I read some chapters realizing that my time is spent better somewhere else.

This one is the opposite, I read it front to back (140 pages or so) and now I frequently use it as reference book. Size matters and the reason why I think this is so good is because it precise and exact. It explains what you need without adding all the unnecessary text that I find is common in a lot of computer literature.

I highly recommend this book for anyone that needs to understand and use regular expressions.