5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction to asp.net
I needed a book that would get me up to speed quickly with asp.net and visual basic.net. Having come from an ASP 3 background and vbscript I found other offerings assumed a good level of visual basic knowledge, which I didn't have.
This book serves the purpose well, allowing you to then focus on more involved aspects of VB.net and ASP.net.
Published on 13 July 2003 by Metcalfe Services Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Relies FAR too heavily on the supplied software
Coming to the ASP.Net arena with 3 years ASP and 6 years HTML experience, I chose this book to start again at the beginning of the learning curve so that I didn't miss anything. This book's learning curve is very gradual and the author does a fantastic job of explaining the various components of the technology.
The book is supplied with a CD-ROM containing the...
Published on 12 May 2004 by The Evil Doctor

2.0 out of 5 stars Relies FAR too heavily on the supplied software, 12 May 2004
The Evil Doctor (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit (Paperback)
The book is supplied with a CD-ROM containing the ASP.Net Framework, the code examples from the book, and an ASP.Net editor - "MS ASP.Net Web Matrix".
Obviously, as with most other people with experience, I have my own set of programming tools, and chose not to use the supplied editor in favour of my own.
Unfortunately as the book progresses, use of the "Web Matrix" software becomes absolutely essential, as the examples of the underlying code are ignored in favour of the code wizards within the software. I originally hoped I would be able to bypass the Wizard instructions and simple type the code into my own editing software.
I imagine most people with a similar background to me would usually prefer to see the ASP code rather than step-by-step wizard instructions. This ~can~ be viewed using the Web Matrix, however, it's pretty complex and isn't easy to figure out by yourself.
If the author could rewrite this book, but forget about the "Web Matrix" in favour of detailed coding plus examples, it would be one of the best publications available. The book begins in this ideal style, but soon migrates to the Wizard approach instead.
How are you supposed to understand the principles and any errors or functionality queries when the wizard is all you know about?!?
Perhaps the book should have been called, "Sams Teach Yourself The ASP.NET Web Matrix Coding Wizards in 24 Hours"

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good introduction to asp.net, 13 July 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Quickest way to get started, 11 Aug 2004
This is the perfect book for getting started in a weekend, and is ideal for the complete novice to asp.net.
Being an experienced asp and vb developer, this book helped me to make the transition to asp.net (which is quite different from previous versions). Admittedly there were a few chapters on general programming basics eg 'an introduction to databases' which anyone who has programmed before would skip. But no harm, it just means that it will probably take a non-beginner half the time to fly through this book, a very encouraging way to start.
To respond to a previous reviewers comments: about too much dependency on matrix. Yes it does depend on it completely. You just have to go with it. But since Matrix is purely a substantially trimmed-down version of vb.studio.net, learning it this way is not wasted.
An excellent follow on from this book is ASP.Net Unleashed by Stephen Walther.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours, 30 Nov 2003
By A Customer
I have used HTML for a while now, but wanted to take the "next step" in producing dynamic web pages, and have used this series of books before. I really like the no-jargon approach of this author, who eases you into the subject pretty well. I had a clients SQL product database up and running online within two weeks. [Although don’t tell them I simply purchased a book on it for about twenty pounds]. I would recommend this book to other developers, who have good existing HTML skills.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad but.................., 6 Dec 2004
By A Customer
Too much emphasis on the Web Matrix application which is provided with the CD. If you are using Visual Studio.net, don't buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for a bigginer, 9 Jun 2005
This book is great. It teaches you a step-by-step approch to learning to program in ASP.NET, covering forms, controls, ADO.NET and more complicated controls such as Datagrid display and formatting.
The only shortfall is that it does not use MS Visual Studio.NET and MS SQL. However, if you know how to use any or both MS technologies ( like I do ), then this is the best book to start your ASP.NET
Although, VB.NET is used as the programming language, something that I am not familiar with, I used C#.NET with no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book for new programmers, 8 July 2005
This is an excellent book for brand spanking new programers, or those new to asp/visual basic. However it lacked content for slighly more deatiled asp.net applications.
Through a of selection of well explained theory and hands-on excerices this book will very quickly start you off on a web development path. The book culminates in build a guestbook application.
Using MS Web Matrix was a great idea as its free, easy to use (tho its some very useful functions, like remembering your database connections) and has its own built-in server so you don't need to have IIS installed to use it. Its great as a basic learning platform, beyond that its is very cumbersome and has poor support for designing sites. It also lacks the ease of programming events that studio.net users would rely on. It is great for very basic .net development tho.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 29 Oct 2004
I found the book a good introduction to ASP.NET. I'm not a developer, I've dabbled in ASP previously and wanted to learn what was magical about asp.NET... The book gave me a firm grounding in the basics, without the need for prior programming knowledge (there is a chapter introducing VB.NET programming).
The knowledge gained allows me to build simple web applications. However, I feel I will need to do further reading to advance my knowledge and realise the potential power of asp.net(e.g. there is no discussion of the web.config file). Nonetheless, the book gave me a grounding to allow my progression with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Mitchell is a genius!, 19 Mar 2004
Tushar134 (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book. The author makes learning ASP.NET almost painless. It's clear, easy to follow, doesn't go too fast or too slow, and is very well written. I come from a VB6 / MS-Access background, and this book has helped me achieve my goal of springboarding into ASP.NET, with particular emphasis on setting up databases. I did a chapter a day, so learnt ASP.NET within a month. A lot of chapters take more than an hour though! But the ones near the end of the book take less. I would recommend this book without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for novices, 26 May 2004
It's very easy to understand, theres no chance of you getting lost. This is a great book for building your confidence and giving you solid foundation. All answers to the questions are on CD too. Highly recommended.
I was so happy with this book that after finishing it, I ordered "Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2003 in 24 hours", which isn't even half as good. Stay away from that book! No answers to questions on CD and quite a few mistakes made ;-)

Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit
Sams Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours: Complete Starter Kit by Scott Mitchell (Paperback - 28 May 2003)
19.73
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available