2.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but way to advanced for a beginner, 13 Mar 2006
Mr. P. Watts "amynuttall25m" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 Hours (Paperback)
Ok, this book is good in the fact it has a lot of information on how to program games. But as a total beginner, I found this book very hard to continue with past chapter one! The game engine is hard to understand is poorly explained. Even on a recent compiler, after spending three hours typing all thw code in I still got errors after I compiled ir. Some of the programs seems to have errors in them. Granted it does state that it was compiled on Microsoft C++ version 7.0, but I have 8.0 and 9.0, and still had errors. The code for the window was the only one I got to work. I did not get to create a game using this book and found it very frustrating to read. It is aimed at more proffesional programmers really, and beginners should avoid this book! The sample cd was ok, and the games looked quite good, but it is a shame I could not make them as the code in the book had errors in it.I have since purchased two differnet books on C++ game programming, and am getting on much better. SAMS learn C++ in 21 days is ok, but this one was a complete let down.
In closing - purchase this if you are VERY experienced, AVOID it if you are a complete begginer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed, 26 April 2007
S. D. Powell "Raven Smith" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a little C++ experience but still found the book difficult to follow.

The first few chapters are okay at explaining the basics, until chapter 3ish when it get's quite involved.

The compiler included is an Out of date program which I do not think is that impressive.

Not for beginners.

Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 Hours
Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 Hours by Michael Morrison (Paperback - 24 Dec 2002)