on 12 October 2000
This was my first ever book on programming and found it really bad. The examples are very shallow. If you don't know about object oriented programming now, you still won't know after you've finished the book.
Once I'd read other books on programming, this book seemed better. The book is mostly for APPLETS and teaches a few good tricks.
Stay clear if you are a brand new to programming
on 8 April 1999
I haven't read this book -- I read its predecessor Teach Yourself Java 1.1 in 24 Hours. I felt that it was a great way for me to get started with Java. It made things very easy for me!
The book doesn't get terribly deep... at the end, you will want to get another book to learn more. After finishing Java 1.1 in 24 Hours, they recommended that I buy Teach Yourself Java 1.1 in 21 Days, because it goes into more depth. Unfortunately, that book is much more confusing and disorganized, and also makes a lot of assumptions about what you know.
The 21 Days book seems to be written for people who are already professional programmers in other languages. The 24 Hours book is great at starting from scratch and explaining everything. Rogers Cadenhead writes in a clear style that is also light and amusing.
on 9 October 2000
Having writing many web pages in HTML and JavaScript, and having written programs in C/C++, I was eager to learn Java. Having read many other titles in the SAMS Teach Yourself series, I decided to pick up a copy of this book, not only did it meet with my high expectations of the series of books, it exceeded them, and for the first time I was actually enjoying reading a computing book. The first few chapters ease you in slowly, and after that the learning curve gets gently steeper, at a rate perfectly suitable for anyone who has written web pages in HTML. I have now written many Java applets, and learning from this book has made it swift and easy. A thorough thumbs up.
on 23 October 2001
I knew nothing about programming before opening this book, Im only on chapter 7 of 24 and my knowledge has been vastly improved. The book is funny, and highly readable(unlike other boring-you-wanna-shoot-yourself-in-the-head-rather-than-read-on Java books). It explains everything from the ground up and assumes no knowledge of Java or programming....For complete newbies(like me) it is an Angel sent from Heaven, I dont know how it'd be for experienced programmers wanting to learn Java....
on 26 April 2001
An enjoyable read and what seems like a fantastic foundation. You'll need further books but with this brilliant style of writing and variety of content you're more likely to finish the book and be able to tackle more detailed and less well written material easier
on 28 June 1999
The code used in the lessons is outdated and won't even compile in many cases. The so-called 1 hour lessons take several hours to complete. I usually just gave up and went to the next lesson! Not a very good way to learn programming.
on 30 August 2001
This book is split into 24 chapters, which you spend around an hour on each. But if you are a experienced programmer, you can easily read and understand this well written book in less than 24 hours! It contains links to some interesting Java sites as well as its own offical site and up-to-date information on Java too. I am a VB developer trying to learn Java, if you would understand, VB and Java are SO-DIFFERENT! So I think the author has done a good job on explaining everything clear and simple to understand. The only down side is that its only a entry level java book, so if you would like to learn JDBC etc. You got to buy his "Learn Java 2 in 21 days" which give you much indepth details on more advanced topics. So try his 21 days book if you already know some java.
on 17 October 2000
I'm really surprised at how many unfavourable reviews this book has received. This book holds your interest long enough to learn the basics which then allows you to move onto other references and tutorials and get into more advanced Object Oriented programming techniques. Highly recommended for complete beginners who want to get straight into examples.
on 20 May 2001
I'm only 4 chapters in, but to my mind this is a great book for the curious, and those just starting out with Java. For some reason most Java books are 1000+ pages, and you (I) give up quickly. I'd recommend this book, if only because its clear, concise, easy to read and gets you going.
on 17 May 2001
Teach Yourself Java in 24 hours - yeah right!!!
As a complete beginner to programming this was the first such book I read. Although the book is easy to read, the constant jokes can become rather patronising.
After later attending a Java course I realised how little this book had taught me, leaving out fundamental concepts.
Even as a beginner, I would recommend something more high level.....