5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 26 Nov 2002 by T. Wiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Usefull, but wrong focus and not the best.
1. This is not a lousy book. It is better than most computer books I have seen. The language, though, is dry an un-enthusiastic, as in most other computer books.
Published on 19 Dec 2003 by Are-Harald Brenne

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 Jan 2005
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
An excellent book to start you on your way to FreeBSD Unix. I am from Windows and wanted to find out what Unix is all about. This book is almost perfect for my level (Unix newbie). Much better than some other books I've come across on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Nov 2002
T. Wiser "Mit" (Nr. Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freebsd Unleashed (Paperback)
One of my major projects over the last year was to move our entire email system away from Microsoft Exchange 5.5 over to an open-source platform. I chose FreeBSD for various reasons, but had no printed manual; something I find somewhat essential whilst working on big jobs. I bought this book and can now look back and thoroughly recommend it to anyone who is thinking of stepping into this field of computing. It was great for me as I had very little experience of setting up a UNIX box but am competant on a variety of Windows platforms. It's taken me from being a complete UNIX novice and guided me through setting up the replacement server, installing the required software and just about everything else. I've had it a year and still find myself dipping into it for reference and it still contains stuff that I will be doing in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Sep 2002
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
There aren't many FreeBSD books about but fortunately this one is excellent in covering nearly everything you may need to know about FreeBSD. I say 'nearly' as it doesn't cover some alternatives to the default set-ups such as KDE as a replacement desktop for Gnome or CUPS as a replacement for the ancient LPR print spooler. These are minor quibbles though and don't detract too much from the overall quality of the book. If only the majority of Linux books were this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one FreeBSD book, make it this one, 23 Jan 2002
This review is from: Freebsd Unleashed (Paperback)
The FreeBSD Online Documentation Project's 'FreeBSD Handbook' is good. Certainly good enough to get you started, but that's not always sufficient. As you start to use FreeBSD, you'll need more than the official Handbook offers. Step forward this excellent book.
Urban and Tiemann know from experience how to get the most out of FreeBSD and it shows. Using the official Handbook I got everything installed and configured easily. But then what? Building a production server is just the first step to really making your server serve. These two will take you - in just the right amount of detail - through areas left a distinctly dull grey by the Handbook, filling in the essentials as they crop up. There's none of the bilious patronising so common in American computer books. Just detailed descriptions and practical examples of getting your first production server into service.
This isn't a small book. It's not a particularly cheap book. It's not an easy subject. But, splash out on this one and you'll ease the transition from gonk to guru. And get a productive server doing what you want into the bargain. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Jan 2008
This review is from: FreeBSD 6: Unleashed (Paperback)
Just received my copy. This book is an excellent book for the complete newbie (such as myself). It takes it time to clearly describe what to do. I recommend this book to anybody who wants a top notch introduction to FBSD. And I recommend Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to FreeBSD, sec. edition, as the next book to read: together, these books are a great tandem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to FreeBSD, 23 July 2004
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
I had tried Linux a while back (Slackware and SuSE) but never felt comfortable with them. I tried FreeBSD and it worked really well. The one thing that has also helped is this book which is an excellent introduction for the beginner on getting FreeBSD working (and the included CD did not hurt either!). For someone not too experienced with *nix operating systems then this book is well worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Usefull, but wrong focus and not the best., 19 Dec 2003
This review is from: FreeBSD Unleashed (Paperback)
2. The focus is wrong. The book starts from scratch, and spend too much space on explaining issues easily available from other sources or issues that most people buying FreeBSD books will already know. At least one third of the book could easily have been dropped.
3. I bougth this book after using FreeBSD on hobby basis for a year. I already owned Absolute BSD, which I think is much better. I have found usefull information in this book, but I regret not saving up the money for Michael Lucas's OpenBSD-book or O'Reilly Power Tools.
By 'Absolute BSD' instead or in addition!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reference..., 13 Dec 2001
ismailhasanov@yahoo.com (Leicester,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Freebsd Unleashed (Paperback)
As a Windows superuser,I want to say thanks to author of this book and provider that I learned a lot of things from dual booting to system hacking.Keep on going writing a book for other BSD systems like this.
Thanks

FreeBSD Unleashed
FreeBSD Unleashed by Michael Urban (Paperback - 25 April 2003)
Used & New from: 0.99