on 30 April 2003
This is by far the best JBuilder book that I've come across, far better then product supplied documentation, covering a multitude of aspects in a very clear and concise manor without the dryness of other books we've all read.
It isn't perfect, there are a few chapters I thought could be improved upon, least impressive for me being the web based applications chapters. As I knew very little about this area beforehand I found it not totally convincing almost diving into topics such as Servlets and JSP's without explaining the basic mechanics involved. This was a little baffling considering other very good chapters for instance the EJB related section gives as good a description of the whole concept from beginning to end as I've seen with a lot of care seeming to have been made to try and help the reader understand what can be a difficult topic to fully comprehend.
However it may well be that the aforementioned chapters were simply a preference on my part as the huge range of topics covered within the book will undoubtedly have varying value to each reader some being more concerned with basic JBuilder functionality rather the Enterprise section or maybe the drawing with Java chapter. In fact the sheer volume of material makes this very good value although as with any book that tries to cover such a large range of subject matter it is not intended to make the reader an expert in any of the included segments.
Although I've read the whole book one important factor is I didn't complete all the examples only the ones of specific interest to me and they did seem to be descriptive enough and worked fine.
In a nutshell I've been so impressed with the overall content of the book I'll be keeping my eye out for any more specialised books released by the same team of authors in the hope they'll produce another more advanced level on some relating topics in the future.
on 13 April 2005
I specifically bought this book to get better documentation on the dbswing libraries. Unfortunately they're not covered at all which is why I give the book 3 stars. I think this is a glaring omission for such a book.