Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2002
This is a great book for people who have never touched a UNIX machine in thier life. I found that the first 3 chapters were excellent guides into how unix works, explaining the relationship between Kernel & Shell, and how to interact with them as a user. This book starts off by providing a very in depth and detailed explanation of UNIX worthy of any great UNIX manual, before going onto UNIX shell scripting.
For the price of this book, it's much better than other more expensive unix books that I have bought, and definatly has much more information than I expected.
As a Systems Administrator Scripting is essential to my job. Normally I program my way around problems using Perl. However, I have known for some time that I needed to Learn UNIX Scripting properly, and considered many titles to dive in with.
I clearly made the right choice in buying this book. My only critisism is that is does not go very deeply into csh. I can forgive the author for this because most scripting is done in bourne, and this book realy teaches you how to master bourne and do pretty much anything your heart desires (or your manager desires) with UNIX.
This is one of my few UNIX books that I won't be lending to anyone. I hope Sams Teach Yourself UNIX Systems Administration in 24 hours is of the same standard (thats next on my list).
on 30 March 2001
If you want to learn how to write Shell Scripts this is a good enough place to start as any. The earlier chapters are quite good and will at least get you going in the right direction. For people with more experience or who want more detail then this isn't really the book for you. The later chapters are a bit sketchy on their various topics. Nonetheless given the fact that it is relatively cheap it is not a bad buy for someone who just wants a basic intro.
on 22 August 2000
This text has a good basic introduction and builds on this to introduce the various shell scripting constructs and text manipulation commands. Good use of examples and exercises re-inforce each topic. This is the place to start if you've never scripted before. Anyone who disliked this book didn't make the right selection to match their skill level!
on 28 May 1999
I've spent the last month learning the basic commands of Unix. Where the real challenge of System Administration comes in is writing scripts. Never has there been a book so useful! Better than O'Reilly shell books..
on 23 May 1999
All I can think to add is that if you're like me -- getting on the Linux bandwagon and needing a tutorial of the UNIX commands QUICK -- this IS your book !!
on 18 June 1999
This book is to the point. It will help anyone who knows a little about UNIX know alot more!! i love it.