5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin
This book teaches exactly what it says it will. Reading some of the previous comments I see that some people expect to learn how to create a database, this book simply teaches how to "interact" with a pre existing database, and it does this very well.
The idea behind this book is to teach the reader how to build a simple SQL query.
If you want a book...
Published on 10 Feb 2002 by Mr. James M. Mead

1.0 out of 5 stars unusable
This book appears to be aimed at people who are trying to learn SQL from scratch. However, if you really are in this position, it is little use.
For example, lesson 1 tells you "Always Define Primary Keys". Fair enough, but it does not tell you how to define a primary key until you reach lesson 20.
Lesson 2 is about retrieving data. But as you won't have any...
Published on 17 April 2002 by nick@maproom.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin, 10 Feb 2002
Mr. James M. Mead (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
If you want a book that teaches about creating databases, relationships, keys or normalization, then you would be a lot better off buying a book on Microsoft Access or Database Management.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable Little Book, 18 Jun 2003
Mr. S. Medcalf "Steve1857" (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I suddenly found that I had to move from years of using Access databases to using MySQL as the main backend to web sites I was writing. This book took me out of the 'nanny hand holding' world of Access writing my queries for me to me doing it myself over a couple of days and what a revelation. I am now writing queries which actually do what I want them to without having to use work arounds all of the time. If you need a good very basic to very advanced grounding in how to make SQL stateents sing this is the book for you, the best tenner or so I have spent in years of buying computer manuals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Useful, 30 Oct 2003
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I found this book really useful, I hadnt had any need to use SQL but since getting my new job I needed to learn how to manipulate databases, most books go on about designing and normalisation however this just stuck to the syntax and examples which was great. Also having commonly used syntax at the back for reference and being able to download the scripts and database from the book was cool

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 July 2001
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
Why didn't I buy this book a year ago? It helped me solve an access problem I've been struggling with months and that was only by chapter 3. Clear and easy to follow and understand. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants a straightforward grounding in SQL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn SQL in 10 minutes is a must have, 24 April 2003
Mr. S. P. Hoare "Dooza" (High Wycombe, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
For anyone who is looking for a quick introduction this is ideal, it leaves you with enough information to get going and to know where you want to get to next. This was a real eye opener for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starting point but inadequate for reference., 24 Sep 2001
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
This book is an excellent starting point for those with some IT skills but no or little experience of SQL. The lessons are well presented with helpful examples.
Once you have grasped the basics of SQL, though, the book is unlikely to be useful as a reference. Anyone wishing to further advance their skills may wish to look at "SQL Unleashed" by Sakhr Youness which is an excellent book for learning and reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good "refresher" book, 10 Nov 2010
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I did a SQL course years ago, so this book was a perfect refresher. Simple language, easy to use and understand.

1.0 out of 5 stars unusable, 17 April 2002
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
Lesson 2 is about retrieving data. But as you won't have any data to retrieve until you have reached lesson 17 and found out how to create some, lesson 2 is not going to make much sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I got this book being a complete novice when it comes to SQL. Doing a database module as part of a foundation degree. It is easy to understand and use for both reference and learning.

Even if you know SQL I would recommend this just as a reference book. I can't be without it when working on my database work.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 5 Oct 2001
This review is from: Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes (Paperback)
I found this book extremely difficult to use when preparing the example tables and data, it did not provide enough information and I had to trawl throught the net to find advice.
I wouldnt recommend this book to complete beginers like myself.

Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes
Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 10 Minutes by Ben Forta (Paperback - 26 April 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01