Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 December 1998
Well, maybe two-and-a-half crowns would be fairer, but I was somewhat disappointed after reading the reviews here. This book is pitched at a pretty gentle introductory level, and spends a good deal of time on lengthy descriptions of the reasonably obvious, with comparatively little in-depth detail. I came away from it (in three days rather than the advertised 21) ready to learn the innards of VCL, but disappointed that I hadn't already seen more of them.
Also, the writing style is frankly irritating to at least this British reader. There's a lot of this kind of stuff: "I can hear you saying, 'This is going to be so cool!' And guess what? You're right!" (page 6)
If you only buy one Delphi book, don't get this one. Delphi 4 Developer's Guide is well worth the extra money, and will be much more useful in the long run.
on 25 July 2000
I brought this book and i have read it all.I am a average Delphi prgramer.If you are a begginer this is the book for you.It explains all you need to know of Object orient programing.Some chapters(days)can be very long and tireing but in the end it is worth it.It could do with some more example programs.
on 13 October 1999
I am a Biochemist. I had no idea about programming. I had to start programming in Delphi 4 and with this book, I am an average programmer now. Of course it takes you more than 21 days, especially when you are ignorant with computers. But eventually you will get there..
on 5 August 1999
I programmed with Delphi 3, then got a job with a Visual Basic shop, that now wants me to use Delphi, this book was a great refresher and in every chapter I learned something new. I love the fact that it is 'quick' and the examples make sence and work!
on 5 December 1998
I was pleasantly surprised the author wasted no time inteaching the fundamentals of Object Pascal. Instead of making you go through 5 chapters just to learn about 2 or 3 topics, he hits you with it at a pretty quick pace. This book includes almost everything in Delphi, except for some advanced topics, etc. I'm overall very impressed. The only reason I gave the book 4 stars is because it is somewhat misleading about who the book is for. It says it assumes no prior programming experience but, in my opinion you'd have much more of an advantage in reading this book by knowing some basic programming concepts & terminology. To make a long story short, I do not regret the money I spent on this book. Thank you.
on 19 August 1998
This is an excellent introductory book. It differs from the earlier books of the same title because it focuses more on "Windows Programming."
The instructional material is well organized and I like the Questions and Answers at the ends of the chapters.
The exercises also help a novice user to develop ideas for projects.
If you are new to Delphi and you want to study the current version, this is the book you will want to begin with.
If you worked your way through the book entitled "Teach Yourself Delphi 3 in 14 Days" this book is still important because it emphasizes Windows programming.
I really liked the writing style as well.
on 16 July 1999
I have been programming in Delphi for a year and a half now. I started out with really bad books and the quirky Borland manual. I snagged the book the moment it came out. The book does very well in the explaining department. The IDE is explained very well and so are OOP fundamentals. After you finish the book, the VCL help (F1) should be enough. When you want to jump to windows API programming, the win32.hlp is an excellent (free) tool. I really recommend this book if you are just starting off, with a wee bit of programming knowledge.
on 23 March 1999
Well, im just a kid. I was given a job to learn Delphi so the company bought me this book i said since i was gonna learn Delphi. so i took the offer. well this book is a good book for starting out the language. I have read sams books before like ones for VC++6 and VB3 & 5. i have always liked there books. im only a 16yr old kid i started programming at the age of 12 and i love it. so i recommend this book for you kids who want to learn Delphi. well wish me luck i have 2 other books i have to read before i start the job.
on 29 June 1999
If you're looking for a good book to introduce the IDE for Delphi 4, then this is the book for you. If you want to learn Object Pascal, don't buy this book (fortunately I learned Pascal a few years ago). I pleased with how the book was written, I was able to scan through the book in four or five days.
For people that are familiar with both Visual Basic and Pascal this should be a fairly easy read. Additionally, the book highlights some of the different features available in Delphi's Visual Component Library.
on 12 November 1998
If you are interested in learning how to use the programming wizards and not really how to code in Pascal then this is the book for you. Unfortunately that was not my intention in buying this book. . .my intention was to learn a new language not how to use the wizards to all the coding for me. I found it incredibly boring and a sad recycling job of their C++ Builder in 14 days. The first few chapters were a word for word copy where only the product name changed.