on 14 December 1998
This is the perfect dba reference book, since it goes into details of virutally everything a dba will encounter (rep server not withstanding), from indexes to backup and recovery. Of course the perfect complement would be to have the sybase books on-line or somewhere handy, this is an all-round good reference. Also, if you have to get your head around UNIX as DBA and SA is quickly becoming a combined function, I recommend the UNIX unleashed book; just don't plan on having a social life for the next few years. I have the DBA Survival Guide by Panttaja, et al and it is lacking in many respects. With only about $13.00 between these 2 books, this one wins hands down.
on 16 February 1999
This is an excellent book. I've worked with other relational DBMSs extensively, and I found answers to all my "how do you do it in Sybase?" questions easily. It's a good book to read from beginning to end, if you want to learn Sybase from scratch. Also I think it would be good as a reference -- other developers are constantly coming by my desk to look stuff up in it. The only problem I've had so far is that the Aurora desktop (on the CD) doesn't work on my 95 machine, and it appears the Northern Lights company has gone out of business, so there's absolutely no support for the product.
on 31 July 1998
I have used many a technical manual in my day and this is by far the best. You don't need anything else. I have been working with relation database management systems for close to a decade. This book has everything from undocumented DBCC commands to a description of RAID devices to transact sql help. I don't care if you are a developer or a dba get this book. You will not be disappointed.
on 8 June 1999
This book is just what I looked for: A complete reference of howto's in Sybase ASE administration. It describes the ways to handle sybase admin tasks using the non-graphical interfaces. Especially for the friends of linux who get the ASE 11 for free this is the perfect manual to use ASE easily!
on 7 June 2001
This book is perfect for anyone working with Sybase. Its neatly packed into two sections, the first part being for database development and the second part for admin tasks. The layout of the book is very eye-friendly and its a very well put together book. Content is excellent.
on 22 December 1998
This book is a must have for anyone using or planning to use Sybase SQL Server. I find myself constantly grabbing for this book whenever I have a Sybase question that needs to be answered. My copy has become frayed and tattered with use.
on 9 October 1998
The book provided clear, practical examples to answering many of my questions. Some of the questions that the book answered in two minutes took a Sybase support rep 6 hours to figure out.
on 19 February 1999
If you buy only one book covering Sybase, this should be it. This book covers everything from security to tuning to backup and recovery. In my department, we refer to this book as "The Bible". I would like to have seen some coverage of Replication Server, but hey, I guess you can't have everything. I can't wait for the next edition covering 11.5 and 11.9. Keep up the good work guys!
on 14 December 1998
The book covers generally all aspects of Sybase SQL Server using in real life. It is outdated a bit (SQL Server version 11 already isn't latest release of Sybase DBMS), but, in my opinion, it is still the best book for any serious Sybase database administrator or programmer.
on 12 October 1998
Covers in depth almost all topics sybase developer needs to know