Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 October 1999
I have been trying to teach myself programming on and off for about five years, and every time I gave up. It got to the point where I was beginning to think that I was too stupid to program. Not so! After much searching I found this book, and I have to say that it is one of the best teaching books I have ever come across, for anything. Finally I am learning to program, and in C, a thing I was beginning to think was impossible for all but the superbrained amongst us. I cannot reccomendd this book highly enough. It is light hearted and refreshing, and it teaches you in short easy stages. Each chapter is short and to the point, I am doing a chapter a day and my skills are steadily increasing. If you want to learn to program in C then it's simple, just buy this book.
on 6 September 2002
I started this book with only knowledge of Pascal. This book is very well written, clear and light hearted whilst being informative and friendly. It was a pleasure to read and was not intimidating. The book is a really excellent start into C and I recommend this book to anyone with little or no knowledge of progamming. I am now reading 'A Book About C' which this book has given me the confidence to move on to.
This book teaches good programming practise and is very clear to point out tips and pitfalls.
Buy this book and will become hooked on programming. It touches the surface of a lot of issues but there are also a lot more out there. This book will give you a thirst for more without the fear of tackling it all!
on 3 September 1999
I wish I had found this book earlier. Junior highers would easily learn programming with this book and I may even give it to my dad! Someone with basic programming knowlege(loops, variables, etc) should use this book to learn the basic C syntax. This is what I used the book for and had a good basic grasp on its syntax in a few hours.
on 14 March 1999
I read this book with absolute no knowledge of C and have found it a useful tool. It is great for the absolute beginner like myself. If you buy this book and expect more than you should re-read the title because it is an intro book and not a book supposed to teach you advanced concepts such as link lists. Today I am going to purchase Perry's C by Example book. This book doesn't go far enough for me either, however, I cannot find a book, which explains things such as functions with such explicit (nice diagrams... no details left out) detail as Perry does nor does any other book do it with such non-technobabble. I looked at the K & R book last night as well as a few other books. While the K & R book is the "Textus Receptus" of C programming at my level, it does not offer the amount of explanation that Perry does. Perry as an author is great for explanation as well as keeping your attention. I rate this book a five star for what it is. If you rate it anything less than you should have bought a different book in the first place.
on 18 October 2007
I have started an Electronics degree at University and one of the modules is learning to program. The lecture is filled with people who have been programming for years and who know their way around the language. I however am new to this so have had to struggle on in the lectures trying to follow the sometimes confusing notes.

I saw this book on amazon and thought I'd give it a go, as its a fairly cheap book, and although I've only read the first few chapters I have already learned more from reading the book than from my lectures. Everything is explained in clear detail in a step by step way. There are short programs in the chapters that you can experiment around with and see how C works.

This text book is also one of the few that has kept me wanting to read more, and it is written in a compelling style. In short if you feel that you don't know where to begin with programming, then this is an excellent place to start. Just make sure you download Visual C++ Express Edition (free) to work with it.
on 16 July 2008
If your struggling with C then you need this book. When i started my computer science degree last year i was totally lost during the lectures on programming, so i decided to purchase this book as it claimed to be for the absolute beginner.

After reading just the first few chapters i was starting to understand everything a lot better. The author really does have the beginner in mind, and goes through the basics of programming nice and slowly with lots of examples and thorough explanations of difficult areas.

I have reader other beginner books on C, and to me, none of them explain things as well. In short, if your struggling with C or are looking for an introductory book then you need to buy this.
on 24 August 1998
If you've never programmed in C before, this is the book you must read. It is clear and precise, yet not at all boring. I'm 15 years old and I found this book excellent. I'm now moving on to more advanced books. Good job, Perry!
on 25 May 1999
I had been programming in QBASIC, and try as I might, I just couldn't understand most of C. Then I bought this book, read it, and now I completely understand C! This book deserves 6 stars!
on 21 February 1999
I found this book to be a very good source of knowledge for the beginning of my programming career. Although Perry does not explain everything (thats why its for beginners) i think that if you do not even know what a computer command is you could still learn basic C from this book. I have read the book and i am writing C programs now. I have moved on to CGi programming and other areas but i started with this book!!! If it can work for me, it can sure work for you...
on 6 November 2013
This book is brilliant because it keeps things simple and gradually builds principle upon principle. It gets you thinking like a programmer, and for some people that is what is more important than remembering the syntax.

The book may even be accused of being ever so slightly too slow, but I flew through it and read over 100 pages (while making notes) in the first day of owning it. It was rare that I found myself stalling to properly digest very complex ideas, which I often find with some engineering books.

Don't expect to come out the other end as an expert. It leaves you with a very good grounding in C but you will need further literature to advance your skills. However for its price I think you will gain a good amount of information.