5.0 out of 5 stars Best Author on the shelves
Published on 21 Oct. 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars a good introduction
This is a good introductory text on C. But to move on to C++, you need a solid foundation, like that presented in "Programming in ANSI C" by Ram Kumar and Rakesh Agrawal. Be sure to get a copy of "C: A reference manual" by Harbison and Steele, it contains everything you ever want to know in C and is actually readable!
Published on 21 Mar. 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Author on the shelves, 21 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)
If you are looking to "Understand C Programming" the only way to go is with Kochan/Wood. They have produced a series of C Programming and Unix books which are without question the Best available today. I have spent several hundreds of dollars on books by other authors and none of them stand up to the Kochan/Wood series. I use them a constant reference and require all programmers which work for me to use them. I have taken non programmers and by using the Kochan/Wood books have developed them into proficient programmers. I now buy Kochan titles even if they are not a book which I am looking for because I know if I ever need information on the subject there is not a better more concise source than his writting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The old ones are the best !, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)
This book is also available in several newer editions. But this particular edition from 1994 is the best !
( Apart from the fact that all the program examples left out the essential code snippet #include <stdio.h>,
but this is nicely corrected in a very detailed erratum-list that comes with the book ).
The important question is : Why is this 18-year old edition the better one ?
The answer is simple : The difference lies in the typography.

It is easy to see that this 1994 edition has been produced by a real typographers loving hand.
Not only do we meet a font size that is a pleasure to work with, compared to the tiny
font size in the later editions, that causes the eyes to squint as soon as the weather becomes
overcast, but the whole page setup has been done artfully with good structure, the ideal
setup for a textbook, where the focus has to be one hundred percent on the goal of
learning, which is greatly facilitated by good typography.

The 2004 edition, on the other hand, looks like it has been produced with the extremely
boring LaTeX format, which I think is a shame to use for a textbook dealing with a subject
such as the C programming language, where the idea has to be to program all the finesses
of this language into the reader's mind, where pedagogic means, such as good typography
are a tremendous help for a learning process that takes considerable time to accomplish.

I ordered this older edition of the book on faith, because of the beautiful multicolored
design that embellishes its outside cover. And I am glad I did !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for beginners, 5 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for beginners, with little or no programming background. Whether you know previous languages, like pascal, fortran or basic, or you have no programming background at all, you will find this book simple, informative and to the point.
I highly recommend this book as an introductory book for learning ANSI C.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good if you have little or no programming background, 8 May 1998
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)
I had wanted to learn C forever and had bought numerous books about it. Every one of them however, were written as if I already knew C. This is the book that changed everything. Very simple, easy to understand, and detailed information on the basics. I only had a C64 BASIC background before this. This book helped me understand what compliling was and what object and quad files were. Now I know MANY more languages but this one was essential to build the foundation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Concise, Elegant and upto the point, 1 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)
I used this book to cut my teeth in C. Of course, I know Pascal which helped me a little, but most of what I know in C is due to this great book. This book is the best buy for anyone looking for an easy to read, concise book in C. Those looking for a reference type book will not find it very attractive. But for most people like me, who are beginners this book is more than worth the money, but if you can, look for an older/used copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars a good introduction, 21 Mar. 1997
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, but there's better books out there, 16 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Programming in ANSI C. (Paperback)
I learned C by working with this book on my own. It covers the mechanics of the language fairly well, but I didn't come away with a strong understanding of pointers or the standard library. Try K.N. King's "C Programming" or Kernighan & Ritchie.

Programming in ANSI C.
Programming in ANSI C. by Publishing Sams (Paperback - 6 Jan. 1994)
Used & New from: £0.01