on 2 April 1999
I've read most of the books from the Star Trek ensemble. I, by far, enjoy most the books that are written by the biographer his/herself, such as George Takei has done. This is a true life story, and not just another solilquy of Star Trek life. His account of his early life is particularly fascinating (to quote Mr. Spock!). His unique insight, experiences, and literary talents make this book among the best autobiographies of any type. To illustrate just how good this book is, my wife, who is not particularly a Star Trek fan, grapped up this book and read it before I could! You most definitely DO NOT need to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy this work of art.
on 29 June 1998
As would be predictable in an autobiography, this book tells a lot about George Takei that was previously unknown. Or at least was previously unknown to some of us. For example, the fact that he was sent to the Japanese-American detainment camps when he was a young boy, one in Oklahoma and one in northern California. Or that he was involved in politics as he got older and became a good friend of Los Angeles mayor Tom Bradley. Or that he was not extremely fond of William Shatner, to put it mildly. All of it was quite interesting and very revealing. Quite an entertaining read and also uplifting in several parts. If Hikaru Sulu is one of your favorite characters or at least one you are interested in and you want to gain some background information on the person behind the helm, read this book.
on 4 April 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am an original Star Trek series fan - my favourites characters being Kirk and Spock. I have read The Making Of book and Shatner's books so knew most of the history of the series and the cast interactions on and off set. Sulu to me, although an original and long standing/recurring secondary character never seemed to have much to do other than press console buttons. The biggest scene the character ever had was as the bare-chested swashbuckling, foil toting swordsman in the episode in which the crew all caught a virus that manifested their biggest fears/egos. That and many years after, being promoted to Captain in one of the later ST movies. So I wasn't expecting much other than how he became an actor, got the part and some rehashed behind the scenes stuff.

When I first started reading I didn't realise the book had actually been published in 1994 and didn't go beyond then. I thought it was a re-issued and updated edition to include his achievements since then, such as appearing on the 2008 UK jungle reality show "I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here", which he was very funny, warm and wise in and which sparked further interest in him and his subsequent social media success. This was what I was mostly interested in .... or so I thought until I actually started reading it.

I learnt so much about Mr Takei and his many, previously unbeknownst to me, achievements in many different areas. Not only was he interned with his family in the Japanese American camps as a young boy for several years, but went on to achieve highly successful educational, political, charitable and activist milestones. I didn't realise he had been (and probably still is to this day), involved in so many different ventures outside of Star Trek.

I found his writing, especially about this family's internment and his subsequent relocation to California, wonderfully descriptive. I felt as if I could see, hear, smell and taste exactly as if I'd been right there with him! His enthusiasm for and thirst to learn about other cultures, cities, languages, food, architecture, etc,, is obvious and quite infectious. His explanation of the political circumstances surrounding the family's internment are educational and the life changing decisions his parents had to make during it, also very eloquently put as are his feelings throughout. He writes about other major players he worked with along the way very honestly and, for the most part, very complimentarily. I was pleased and impressed to learn he was playing many other roles in different mediums before, during and after Trek as well as being very involved in local and national politics, being active in progressing multi ethnic causes and was even an Olympic torch runner!. His affection and respect for his parents is also very evident and his recognition of their sacrifices for their children is fitting tribute to them. I found him to be a much more interesting character than Sulu. Sulu pales in comparison so I could fully understand why a man such as George felt Sulu's character very underused and undervalued and why he constantly suggested progressive ideas for him.. I was quite disappointed however, to be taken on such an insightful, comprehensive journey with him but learnt absolutely nothing about his personal life (other than his running passion and family relationships). For whatever reasons, he didn't include his private life which is a shame really because, regardless of his sexuality, it's as much a part of him as any other he did write about and likely just as problematic and interesting. So it's conspicuous by its absence.

In 2007 I attended my first and only UK Sci-Fi convention (to see my "crush" in person at the time). I was sitting having a coffee with friends when I made eye contact with a man passing by our table. He gave me a huge warm smile which I couldn't help but return even before I realised it was George! I automatically waved and he waved back. There he was, very smiley and just enjoying wandering amongst ordinary people. Had I read this book before that moment, I would have approached him to tell him how much I'd enjoyed reading and learning from it. So I'd love to read the up to date revision of this autobiography and share his subsequent 21 years! For now I'll just have to be content with his social media hits. A highly recommended read whether there's a sequel or not.
on 6 May 2015
The autobiography of George Takei, better know as the helmsman Mr. Sulu, is obviously a must read for any Trekkie out there. Though this book doesn’t require the reader to be overly familiar with the StarTrek universe. Takei’s story is a captivating, engaging adventure. Through his eyes we can see the issues he had to deal with for being a Japanese American, he grew up facing the anti-Japanese paranoia of WWII. He shares his memories from the camps, though retrospectively as he adds in adult elaborations. The discrimination he faces and the struggle for people to find a job, his experience with racism, and how he understand democracy and citizenship.
In his story he also elaborates on how it is to be a new actor, there are stories from set, behind the set, stories from people he has worked or volunteered with. Tales of triumph and setbacks, though even though he faced hardships the writing never turns into self-pity.
In the end, regardless what Takei is sharing, whether it is conversations or feelings, tender moments or triumphs, public or private, he always manages to make the story personal.
Though I will say my review this time might be slightly biased, I do firmly believe that this book is worth a read, even if you are not much of a StarTrek fan.

Originally Posted at: https://lindeay.wordpress.com/2015/04/17/to-the-stars/
on 2 December 2015
Item arrived in good condition and even better it was a first edition.
on 27 August 2015
Just as described and quick delivery
on 10 June 2015
A Good read
on 26 December 2013
arrived very quick, bought for my husband as a present, he loves it and says its a good read, good price and condition
on 10 December 2012
Well worth a read & not only for fans of Star Trek but for anyone with an interest in World History.