Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 21 February 2007
I wouldn't normally review a book, so this will probably sound like a load of rubbish.

This book is great, I am not an avid reader, but could hardly put this book down!

This has taught me so much about life, and made me re-evaluate my life and life in general. I feel richer and more rounded after these fantastic words from Lame Deer. His insight, knowledge and wisdom about so many aspects of life is simply brilliant, and certainly thought provoking. It has changed me as a person.

I now feel I MUST read it all over again.

The best book I have EVER read, or will ever read. Simply FANTASTIC.
on 13 January 2005
This book will do more than teach you how to meditate or what stone to pick up off the ground: it will show you what it means to live. Although Lame Deer talks about what he knows of Native American tradition, the glimpse he gives of life through his eyes is more valuable. The tradition is nothing without the fire that lives in the man and this is a book that gives a marvellous account of that fire.
Please, do throw some frogskins its way.
on 13 December 2001
I really enjoyed this book, and it kept me company through the days that I read it. Full of stories of occurances which happened to Lame Deer in his long and rich life...sometimes sobering, sometimes hilarious, but always facinating...thank you to Richard Erodes and Lame Deer for sharing their stories with us...love and light!!
on 15 January 2012
This is a great book to read, clearly the work of an interesting personality. I just wish I could be sure that it was the personality of a Sioux medicine man, as opposed to that of an Austrian artist (Richard Erdoes). Given that Lame Deer says he was never much good at English, the actual words must be substantially the work of Erdoes; and parts of the book feel like they may be substantially his thoughts, too.

These days we're used to 'autobiographies' written by shadow writers, but there are two important differences here:
a)The subject's native language is not English (so he wouldn't be able to oversee it very effectively);
b)the book's main interest is its authenticity.

If I could be sure that it was genuinely the thought, even if not the words, of Lame Deer, I'd give it five stars. It's full of fascinating material both about traditional Sioux life, including religious practices like the Sun Dance, and about the way Native Americans regard and deal with the modern world. Three stars reflects the impossibility of knowing how far it is for real.
on 20 January 1997
The life story of John (Fire) Lamedeer is laced with a humorous tone that will keep you reading. Lamedeer tells the tales and adventures of his life and dealing with the westward push of white settlers. You learn about life on the reservation and the traditions and beliefs of an ancient culture. Lamedeer takes us with on drunken adventures, peyote rituals, and religious ceremonies. You're guaranteed to laugh at his stories and feel for his despair in this close up look at the life of an Indian just trying to live as his people always had: free.
on 8 February 2009
If you read this book, you'll probably read it again. Then you'll probably delve, find that phrase you're sure you read, that idea, redefine it. The book hooks. Maybe it's about the way you want to think about life, or act in life. Maybe it's about the life philosophy you really would follow if only you could. It dares you to read it and not laugh, not feel, not think in silence alone at night. I gave it five stars. That's all the system allows. How many would you give it?
on 2 October 2011
As I read this book I felt I was being taken along a journey by an old Indian. Here, in Lame Deer's book, we have an old Indian who is willing to take the reader on a journey of what it was like to be an Indian many years ago and how the values and skills known to this Native American race have been eroded through oppression and discrimination. This is not a book about self-pity or loathing or anger. In fact one gets the sense of a generous spirit who is trying to talk to and counsel humankind in the benefits of caring for the Earth that gives us life and sustenance. Lame Deer takes us on a journey that gives us glimpses of himself as he goes through his life. He makes no claims to being from a greater race or creed than anyone else but one gets the sense that spiritually he is far more advanced than the White Man who came to convert and 'civilise' the Red Man.

There is also humour throughout the book, Lame Deer's own individual sense of humour that is both generous and accommodating of difference. I have marked several passages in this book to go back to. I was going to write a few of them in here but I think the best thing I can do is to direct you to the book itself. It's worth reading, even if only to make friends with an old Indian.
on 9 July 1998
LAME DEER, SEEKER OF VISIONS is SO FASINATING, you will not want to put it down. I'm currently reading it for the second time and I will keep on reading it over and over. This book brings you right into LAME DEER's life experiences and teaches you in GREAT DETAIL about the beliefs of HIS PEOPLE. I HOPE SOME DAY THAT ALL PEOPLE CAN LEARN TO LIVE AS THE NATIVE AMERICANS LIVE, FREE AND HONEST!!!! mitakuye oyasin
on 7 September 2010
I learned of this book through another Native American book and took the chance of ordering it - I was not disappointed.
This is a fascinating story of Lame Deers life and recollections told with natural humor. Throughout his story he tells of some of the history of his people told to him by eyewitnesses and who show a different history than that printed in the history books.
Some of the generals - such as Custer - were called hero's, whereas the 'marauding savages' he destroyed were actually groups of women, children and old men. His ruthless genocide lead to several tribes getting together with such great leaders as Crazy Horse, and the resulting battle at the Little Big Horn where - far from being his usual 'soft' target - Custer found himself in a real battle which he lost.
Lame Deer is one of the few 'True Blood' Shaman prepared to share his knowledge with non natives and the training he describes makes riveting reading and makes it difficult to put the book down.
on 18 December 1998
the life of john lame deer is so rich that everyone will be able to see themselves in one or more of his experiences and reflections. more than just a biography, it is a philosophy and life way for all.