on 24 March 1999
William R.Forstchen is without a doubt one of the most emotive authors I have ever read, (I'm a complete book worm and get through a book every 2-3 days) and this book was no exception, however the framework had already been laid out by the game which only gave him so much manouvering room in writing it. However do not think I don't like the book, on the cotary I thought it was great but not as good as the ones that are purely his. I'm only giving it four stars because otherwise I would have no way to signify that I thought Action Stations and End Run were better books(I haven't got round to reading Fleet Action yet as its out of stock at every bookstore in the country). Another problem is that the story of WC3 is too big to put into one book, A trilogy may have been better. The first book ending at Locanda, the second with the destuction of the Behometh and the last book ending at Kilrah. However it is a riverting read and I would recommend it to anyone. All in all te book (like all Forstchen books) leaves you feeling damn proud to be a human being.
on 2 September 1998
To criticise books written on games it's good to know if they were written before or after the game was released. In our case, if this book is written on a transfer-the-game-to-book base, then it's not a good fit. The game fans liked the game as it is so they are going to be displeased with the deve- lopment of this book. In any other aspect the book is close to perfect: simple language, not over- burdened literature, direct, with scenes that flow and more than enough characterisation for a book of this kind (sci-fi space adventure). For the plot, we spoke a little above, yet it pulls with it the characterisation of some side characters (MANIAC, FLASH)presenting an aspect that Wing Com- mander fans might find not so appealing. Also the Kilrathi side inserts make the book more interest- ing since they provide more backstory and make the reader be more involved to what he reads and tend to be: (a). a Wing Commander fan, or (b). a more enthusiatic Wing Commander fan. The other apect speaks of the book being written on a "commissioned" basis before the game was pre- sented (meaning that ORIGIN asked of the authors to write the book and then they made it script and finally a PC game). On this basis a well written book is transferred to a terrific game, clearing out the above mentioned... "errors" and putting in the space flight simulation aspect. Overall the book is good, yet Wing Commander fans will read it with scepticism.
on 24 March 1999
on 18 September 1998
I read this book because I loved the game. I was expecting to find a direct novelization of the game, but instead found a believable novel. While it follows the game pretty well, I enjoyed the scenes that took place between the action. The game didn't touch on that as much as it could have. As I said, I think that this book was a more realistic account of the events in Wing Commander III. This book really got into the personal lives of the characters. I also enjoyed the random Kilrathi viewpoint. The best part about this book (in my opinion, of course) is how it explains what REALLY happened with Hobbes. The game left me thinking that he had always been a traitor. The deaths of the characters were woven into to plot nicely. If you liked the game, you should equally like this book.
on 24 April 1998
I dont know what the other guys here think, but this book was the best! Having mostly reading Star Wars I desided to try out Wing Commander because I liked the game. In the beginning it wasn't very hot I admit that, but when I got to the third, fourth or fifth chapter (I don't remember) it started to rock. It also had good parts in the middle between the fighting. Unlike some books when they'er just sitting around doing nothing. An example: When Prince T. sends the message to blair, you think it's just honkey dory right. But no it's a secret message to his undercover spy to take of his mask and start being a kilrath a***ole. I have to say the best part was when Blair finaly takes out kilrath and at the same time takes out the peice of doo Thrakhath. Over all this book was great.
on 18 November 1997
Wing Commander, Heart of the Tiger was quite a good game.
Wing Commander the book was also well writen, considering it had to 'compete' against the Computer Game.
Forstchen and Keith make a good interpretation of the game, and put it into good prose form. The story had substance, the protangonists didn't always win, and character developement was well planned.
However, truthfully, no novelisation of a Computer Game can ever be sucessful. Whereas Computer Games have more than one 'path' to the eventual end of the story, a novel can only have one 'path', leading to one ending.
But, regardless of that small fact, the book was a good read, not a must read, but one that you should consider, if you have the money/time.
on 13 March 1999
I just loved the game when I played it 3 years ago. I picked up the book expecting cheesy plots and story line like other game-based SciFi books, but this book proved me wrong. Wing Commander: Heart of the Tiger is one of the best SciFi book I've ever read. The story is more interesting and solid than any other series including starwars. All aspects of the book was just great; character development, storyline, battle scenes, etc.. I recommend this book to everyone who loves SciFi.
on 26 April 1998
I thought that Wing Commander 3 Was a good book. It really shows the tension and stress of the war and the dire position of the Confederation. Much insight is given into Blair, and Thrakhath. There is also internal dilemmas faced by the Crew. The mystery of what happened to Vagabond and Maniac were good cliffhangers, where you could sort of make up their fate yourself. Overall, this book followed the basic storyline with some twists, and some unexpected deaths.
on 1 January 1998
While not as engrossing as the PC game, the translation to written word was done well, but lacks certain aspects that gave the game "heart," no pun intended. It looks to have been written quickly, and without any input from the game's creator, which it could have used. A worthwhile read for any fan of the series, but more satisfaction can be found in the game.
on 10 December 2013
Heart of The Tiger is an OK book to read. Lucky that I had played it on my old PS1, so know how the story would pan out. Interesting subplots, but felt that the writer was getting fed up of these stories and wanted it to end pretty quickly. It felt kind of slow and plodding at times. Book is about as good as the game was. Slow plodding but good in parts.