5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written - a strange but moving masterpiece
I'll admit to having read many of Coupland's books. As a chronicler of our vacuous, materialist age and the damage it inflicts on us as human beings, he is without peer. After his seemingly more substantial works like All Families Are Psychotic, Eleanor Rigby and Hey Nostradamus, the pared down, minimalist structure of Life After God at first seemed ethereal and...
Published on 14 Mar 2006 by Baltoro Stick Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Life, eh? What a let down...
This is the 8th book of Coupland's I've read and I wouldn't have read this many if I didn't think he was a great writer doing wonderful things with the novel. He's been on a roll recently starting with "Eleanor Rigby" up to his latest "Generation A" so I was interested enough to go back to those I've not read, his early books.

"Life After God" is a collection...
Published on 19 April 2010 by Sam Quixote

5.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and moving, 2 Feb 2011
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Coupland, and this book, structured into several vignettes, is one of his best. Each story is moving in its own way. In particular, Gettysburg is bittersweet and tackles the feeling of "is this it?" which tends to colour every relationship at one point or another. Thought provoking and, as is usual with Coupland, incredibly well written, I felt like underlining certain sentences just because of how beautifully worded they were. At times it is not the most uplifting, but it is still a definite must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Touches the hollow, 18 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Life After God (Perfect Paperback)
Douglas Coupland again manages to touch the part inside of you, you know is lacking something that you just can't put you finger on, He wonderfully exposes many realities of life, which would be quite depressing if it wasn't for the redemption that is offered in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like opening the mind of a Depressive, 14 Jun 2004
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
This is great to read if you are depressed, or have a tendancy to depression, not because it will make you happy, but at least you will know there is somebody out there who feels and thinks like you do, so at least you're not crazy. The writer must be drawing from his own experience, as the insights and reflections have the authority of those who has been walking it.
If i were to describe it, which is kind of difficult as it's format is hard to categorise: Stories and sketches from the mindset of an introverted depressive. Come to think of it, I can never understand how writers and musicians who can write so powerfully about things as dark as this, manage to finish a line, without wanting to top themselves, let alone have a sucessful blossoming career

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Short Story Collection, 16 Oct 2014
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
I love this sublime collection of short stories by one of contemporary fictions best writers. Wonderful stuff that keeps you focussed and enthral led - one of those books you really don't want to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely captures the spirit of 'now'., 15 Jun 2012
N. Weaving - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
I haven't read a book that captures this well what it is like to be a young adult in the time we live in. If you were born between 1980 and 2000, or somewhere around there, and to middle class parents, this is a book about YOU.

3.0 out of 5 stars utter pointlessness, 8 Jun 2012
Mr. Robert Marsland (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
This novel seems to want to state the utter pointlessness of existence. However after 89 pages of pointlessness, I gave up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 21 Mar 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
This is one of those books that I have wanted to review for a while, but was unsure of how to approach it. I love the book and have read it over a half dozen times in less than two years. Yet it is such an atypical book that it is difficult to review. I can just be blunt and state that the book will grab you and draw you back in again and again.

The book is published as fiction, yet rumors have it that Coupland will admit that it is at least partially autobiographical. It is a collection of recollections, thoughts, memories and drawings by Coupland. It is the recount a man's life, and as we find out he is telling the story to find out how his life got to where it is. He wants a record for his daughter so that maybe she will understand him better. My favorite of the individual entries is:

"Now -- here is my secret:
I tell it to you with an openness of heart I doubt I shall ever achieve again, so I pray that you are in a quiet room as you hear these words. My secret is that I need God - that I am sick and can no longer make it alone. I need God to help me give, because I no longer seem capable of giving; to help me to be kind, as I no longer seem capable of kindness; to help me love, as I seem beyond able to love." p.359

Every time I pick up this book, I get something more out of it. Sometimes I read it from beginning to end, and then at other times I just pick it up and read at random. This book deals with many of the 'big' questions all of us will have to deal with in our lives. Questions like: How do we deal with Loneliness? Anxiety? Failed relationships? How can we find quiet in our lives? It also deals with the question of being raised without a religion or belief system and how, as we age, we end up struggling with spiritual questions.

If you can track down the first edition hardcover it is worth it. It is in a different format and shape. With the dust jacket off, it looks like a prayer book or bible. If you read it without the jacket in public places people will often ask you what you are reading. This was intentional and the shape and design of this book are part of the art of the book, and part of the complexity Coupland has woven into it. The front cover of the hardback also has an outline of a hand, like a tracing of a child's hand. As we are all reaching out beyond ourselves in search of some greater meaning in life, we are reaching out like a child in search of a parent.

My hat is off to Coupland and this amazing work of art - on all the levels that it is art of the deepest level. Coupland has created a masterpiece that will become a classic, which will survive through the ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 7 Jun 2003
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
This is superb book. Ok it starts off a bit slow and it's divided into many unrelated subjects. But it stumped me. The thoughts contained here are profound and stated in such simplistic terms. He touches, amongst other subjects, on the apparent acceleration of time as one grows older, the unreliability of memory, the unrelenting effort to find a purpose in life. It ends with the authors own admission on whether he is willing to accept God. It's a short book but it carries a punch. Well, it did for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Padding, 30 May 2010
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
Seriously visit a bookshop and have a look at this book, you may see 200 pages but each page contains a single paragraph, or a huge child like scrawl of a drawing. Meaning this book is incredibly short and can be read in about an hour. The text is huge and the margins are similarly huge.

About the story lines and plot lines, quite simply there is none, it just feels incredibly disjointed full of flat characters. Although some of the things written are insightful the only reason I finished this book was it was so incredibly short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read very interesting book, 4 Sep 2014
This review is from: Life After God (Paperback)
Purchased for uni. Good read very interesting book

Life After God
Life After God by Douglas Coupland (Paperback - 31 Mar 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01