on 13 January 2012
This, as you can imagine, is a very emotive book.

It tells the story of Anne Marie West's appalling childhood abuse at the hands of her father Fred and step mother Rose.

This book has been written in Anne Marie's own words and will probably leave you feeling extremely sad and angry.

Sad because it's hard to believe that a father and his wife can treat their children so badly, and angry because nobody cared enough to intervene and help.

Heather's death particularly touched me to the point of bringing tears to my eyes. I found it quite distressing.

I do not recommended this book if you are easily disturbed or upset but I would recommend it otherwise so that you can appreciate Anne Marie's struggle with child abuse.

I wish Anne Marie, all the love,happiness and luck in the world because she truly deserves it.
on 14 January 2003
This book is extremely hard to put down and I read it within 3days. It is a very graphic account of a young girls fight against physical and mental abuse from the people who should have loved her unconditionally. But instead put her and other women, with-whom the West's asssociated,through great pain and suffering leading to at least 12 deaths.
I think throught writing this book Anne-Marie should feel proud of herself that she has overcome such grief and has a very supportive family of her own to help her through the rest of her life. Excellent Book!! & Well recommended.
on 26 October 2000
The first thing that struck me when I received this book from Amazon, was how very similar in appearance Anne marie is to her father Fred. Recommended by a friend, this book provided my bedtime reading for just 2 nights...I could not put it down. I like many other people wondered how Anne Marie did not realise that her father & step-mum were burying bodies under the patio, but after reading "Out of the Shadows" all I feel is pure shame that a society such as ours allows a child to suffer in the way Anne Marie did in the hands of her own parents. For people with a weak stomach, I suggest you do not read this book, in particular the chapter in which Anne Marie was raped by Fred and Rose. One reason however to read this book is to learn of the sheer courage shown by one individual in the face of such shame, humiliation and danger that Anne Marie was placed in by her father and Rose. I feel that Anne is a bigger person than me, how she showed such forgiveness to her father when he was in prison & how she mourned him when he died is to me incomprehendable, all I can say is well done Anne Marie, you are an example for your children and the rest of the country to be proud of. A thoroughly excellent biographical true crime book for anyone interested in how victims struggle and survive, and certainly one i'll never forget.
on 3 February 2002
i was not a big fan of books, until this breathtaking auto biography. It was the best reading in years. I must congratulate Anne Marie on her sheer courage and strength, which proved that even when life is hard you must go on, and she is a positive role model.On a bad note. i was quite concerned with the lack of concern on behalf of her teachers, who as professionals should have the training and enough of a bond with their students to notice any abuse or the warning signs.Although these disgusting acts did occur in the 70's ans early 80's,child abuse or any abuse should not be tolerated.On the other hand the Wests were cunning and decieving in their attempts of a secluded life and managed to scheme and commit acts of rape, murder and abuse to loved ones. I once again am glad to have read this book and am proud to say Anne Marie you are a champian and true fighter.You are a role model to others and i hope that your story has touched others like it has me.Good luck in life.
on 13 January 2015
So harrowing to read but a testimony of true strength and courage. I don't know if Anne reads any Amazon reviews of the book but just on the off-chance that she does:

Anne, there are no words to describe how I felt reading your account of the horrors of your youth. But I'm sure I speak for many others when I say this. You are living proof of the power of the human spirit to overcome even the most despicable evil. I wish you much joy and happiness in the future with your own beloved girls. Thank you.
on 2 February 2014
How Anne Marie survived emotionally all that she went through i will never know,what a brave woman.To endure a childhood such as hers,having to run away in her early teens ,little knowing that that act probably saved her life.Having to come to terms with what her father and stepmother did not only to to herself,but her sisters and mother and all those poor girls and then to testify in court against Rose West.She is a very couragous lady and i hope she finds peace and happiness with her own family now.
on 21 September 2015
I lived opposite Fred and rose for a few years and spoke to them often and no one knew a thing , Anne Marie her boundless courage and your book is a harrowing read but reading it and knowing the family is even harder ... It's her story it's fabulously written , it's well worth buying and understanding more about the life the children had there :/
on 12 March 2013
The writing is such that you recognise the child in the simple, uneducated, innocence of the text but this does not distract from Ann Marie's horrific story. Her ability to endure is beyond words as is her courage and her determination to find a better life for herself and her children.
on 21 March 2015
Well written and at times extremely sad. This is Anne Marie's story - or more accurately, pages from her life. Sometimes raw and heart breaking, Anne Marie writes about the extreme abuse that she suffered at the hands of her father and and her step mother and also looks at the aftermath of life at 25 Cromwell Street. The impression one gets is of a sweet and affectionate woman who landed the worst possible parents and she looks stoically at past events with great courage.

It must have been incredibly hard for Anne Marie to write this book (with her co-author) but I hope it afforded emotional and psychological release. Kudos to Anne Marie and I honestly hope from the bottom of my heart that she is happy now and has the ;love she clearly deserves. If not - tell her to contact me.
on 16 April 2013
I found this book very interesting to read as I have read many other books about the Fred and Rose West case. It must of been very difficult for Anne Marie to re- live her childhood and I am glad she left when she did.