5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for everyone interested in the faith, 25 May 2013
This review is from: On Being a Christian (Hardcover)
A challenge on every page. Kung probably the best known Catholic theologian of our times (along with Rahner) writes to everyone in and out of the Church> A book for atheists and believers of every hue. A big book but truly worth spending the time with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abook to get your teeth into, 19 April 2013
This review is from: On Being a Christian (Paperback)
I did not find this an easy read. It includes a lot of theological, philosophical, humanistic etc detail that was completely above my understanding or interest, BUT I read much of it especially the historical details behind Jesus of Nazareth and the people of the early Christian church. I understand Kung's view to be that how one behaves is the criterion of Christianity and being a Christian does not necessarily mean being a member of any particualr denomination or church today. You may be the sort of person who replies " well I have always thought that anyway" but the detailed considerations of what exactly IS Christian behaviour made me think and this author whom i have often judged as an angry academic came across in parts as a very spiritual person after all. If you find yourself questioning either your own beliefs or those of others and are prepared for a pretty academic read and are able to just skim those parts which are above you or in which you have no interest, then I can whole heartedly recommend this book. I actually began reading it as a library book, but realised that I needed to live with it, go back in to it. I may have to order another copy, since I have worn this paper back edition to pieces and will be reading and re-reading it for a long time yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its hard to think Hans Kung wasn't English!, 1 Feb 2013
Mr. J. Martin "John E P Martin" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On Being a Christian (Hardcover)
You will need a Thesaurus next to you when you read this.
The book is old but the text is still relevant to today.
Just read it...

On Being a Christian
On Being a Christian by Hans Kung (Paperback - 1978)
Used & New from: 4.03