5.0 out of 5 stars The most hard won tool in life: letting go, 27 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Codependent's Guide to the Twelve Steps: How to Find the Right Programme for You (Paperback)
It's amazing how many times over the last 15 years I've recommended this book because the skill it teaches is so very essential to managing so many of the most difficult emotions to cope with: grief, jealousy, revenge, anger, etc. I was given this book by an older woman I was CRAZY in love with, right before she dumped me! Well, I was young and, as the choice of words in the previous sentence indicates, I had no skills to cope with a very normal life event: lovers leave. I couldn't stop calling her, dreaming about her, going round to her house, etc. Realizing, despite myself, that I needed help, I started reading the book and the very painful process of learning to let go. I think quitting smoking was a walk in the park by comparison. As guys, we always think we can fix things, control outcomes, manage the situation, win the battle. Rarely do we learn to detach, release, and find peace that some things are just out of our hands. I learned these skills and was able to let go of, in life's big picture, a comparatively insignificant little fling (wonderful lady, but an insignificant fling nevertheless). A few months later my father died. And in hindsight now I realize that, had I not learned these skills of letting go, I might not have survived losing my dad. Life taught me with the training wheels on first - letting go of a summer lover - in preparation for one of life's really tough ones, grieving over a beloved parent. The skill of letting go is perhaps one of the greatest emotional survival tools we have, because, as life shows us, spouses leave, pets get run over, milk gets spilled. The trick is learning to react to these events in a way so your world doesn't come crashing down too. I haven't read Beattie's book in years, don't even own a copy any longer. But today I'm recommending it to a friend who can't let go of jealousy. The tools she needs are in this book. Thanks Melody (and thanks beautiful J for giving me the tool to get over you).

5.0 out of 5 stars Just my opinion, 13 Sept. 2009
Helen Reilly (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I find this book vey helpful in making me realize how codependent i am. This book will educate me to lead my own independent life which should lead to a much healthier way of living and that i am responsible for no one else but myself. I also cannot control anyone but myself so with changed attidutes on my behalf i am sure i will have a fuller more rewarding life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand intro to changing your life in recovery!, 4 Nov. 1997
By A Customer
A small group of us used this book in working the 12 steps our some our basic co-dependency issues. This eased some of us 'newcomers' into the 12 step process in a nurturing manner. I could really relate and appreciate the stories and examples that Melody Beattie shares to relates the issues to so that I could comprehend. This book allowed some deep rooted issues to be explored and my process of recovery to flourish.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, 9 Feb. 2011
I bought this book to go along side my recovery in another fellowship as I knew I personally had issues relating to codependency. This was a great buy and an excellent read and resource, incorporating the twelve steps with codependency. It was such a good buy that my mum has now pinched it and is glued to its pages lol. Am very happy with my purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book, 24 May 2014
Fantastic book for anyone battling the 12 steps programme. Can be related to any addictive behavihour. Great explanation of each step, examples and people's stories then activities to try! Great for personal use or group use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Newcomers of Al Anon not suggested., 16 Feb. 2015
Perhaps 'love' is not quite a word I would use to describe however it is a very informative book and for those who have been with Al Anon for some time, they will find it interesting. I wouldn't suggest you read it if you are a newcomer for they are not one of the suggested books, nor spoken about in the meetings as this causes confusion. There is a little too much conversation about 'god' especially if you do not understand that this is a spiritual programme and does not relate to a 'god' as in a religious sense. However she fits nicely into Al Anon's (and damaged childhoods). It is a pity it could not be utilised alongside the suggested reading list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam, 17 July 2011
Great help with my step work.
Helps me dig deeper and therefore get more out of my work.
Highly recommend it in conjunction with Coda approved literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 6 Aug. 2014
This book gives excellent detail of the steps.I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who attends a twelve step meeting and is eager to recover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Codependants 12 steps, 9 Oct. 2012
Very helpful and easy to follow book.... Melody Beatties books are brilliant self help material. Combined with 12 step meetings they are invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A*****, 1 Aug. 2013
I would strongly recommend this title.
Rated. An in depth read for enquiring minds
I give it the highest accolade.