5.0 out of 5 stars A mix of shear terror, horror and beauty
This is the first book I have ready by Robert McCammon and I look forward to reading more.
In common with some other commentators here, I was drawn into this book thoroughly. It is a long book at 850 odd pages, but being one of those rare books which are hard to put down, the pages zip by: especially once the story gets going.
The story mixes the realities of a...
Published on 23 Feb. 2010 by Jean Michel

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, if you like Stephen King, but a bit clichéd
You'll like this book if you like Stephen King novels (in particular, The Stand, which I thought I was re-reading at first), or if you enjoy films in which the hero defuses a bomb in the last second.

Published 20 months ago by Martin Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars A mix of shear terror, horror and beauty, 23 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
The story mixes the realities of a post-nuclear war that has experienced MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) between Russia and the USA with the fantasies of the powers of good and evil, where evil is having a party. The story is set in the US and moves from the immediate pre-war situation into the plight of three key groups of survivors whose lives are scattered between New York - near Wichita, Kansas - and a mountain refuge in Idaho. McCammon initially focuses upon the usual post-nuclear exchange devastation; the skeletons of buildings, grey clouded skies, incessant storms and plunging temperatures that mark the nuclear winter. So far one can anticipate the usual stories of survival in this harsh landscape with people forced to choose between trying to maintain some of the codes of their civilisation, whilst others turn to their darker side. This is the substance of Cormac McCarthy's novel, The Road (2006).
However, pretty soon after the initial nuclear exchange, one realises that there are other forces at work in the story. This is where the adventures really start to take-off; powers of good and evil slowly begin to emerge and one realises that another dimension has been opened for the reader.
Gradually, the survivors are to be drawn towards one another, but along the way one is never sure who is going to survive the next ordeal; and who if any, will make it to the end.
I found the book was not something that simply told a story; rather it touched one's emotions in all sorts of ways that no doubt would be unique to each reader. Overall, I felt it resounded with that grand sense of folly in the human condition and yet it was blended with the never ending power of hope and love. This book may well make you laugh and cry and sometimes do both at the same time, but like any good book it will draw you into another world, where the characters are very real and the world around them is not for the fainthearted. So be prepared.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this, 15 Jun. 2011
J. Walsh "joannejo90" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
I found out about this book by accident and as I LOVE the Stand I thought I would give it a try having never heard of Robert before. I had to admit to being a little sceptical to start with as I could never see anything living up to Stephen Kings masterpiece, but I have to say it run it a very close race, with The Stand coming just out on top. Regardless of this, this book is a masterpeice in its own right and I really cared about Sister and Swan and Josh and I hated the baddys with a vengance and I, for one really liked the ending....

All in all I am very happy that I found this book, if you fancy reading it dont let it large size put you off....it is an easy good read and very well worth the effort.

On the strength of Swan Song I have bought a couple more of Roberts books....I will reveiw at a later time :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The most unforgettable book I've ever read., 13 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
A friend lent me this book in 1993. I didn't sleep for days as I *had* to finish it, absolutely mesmerised by the characters. Even now I have mental pictures of all the characters and I've never forgotten them. I gave the book back and lost touch with the friend... I found this book on amazon.fr just before christmas (I'd been looking for it for 9 years) and I know it is a treasure to savour and so I've resisted reading it until now. I go on holiday on saturday and I already know I'm going to have the best read of my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST THING I'VE EVER READ!, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
This book is by far the best book i have ever read! I've mailed links of this page to many friends recommending they purchase it for them selves! I know I will read this book many times over years to come.

I hope they never make a movie out of it, they will ruin everything that makes this book special!

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with the best, 15 Dec. 2010
Snikt5 (Bromley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
I cannot understand why Robert McCammon is not more widely read over in the UK. He is vast becoming one of my favourite authors (joining the ranks of George R R Martin, Bernard Cornwell, Stephen King and John Connolly).

I have read three other books by Mr McCammon: Boy's Life and the first two in the Matthew Corbett series. All are brilliant reads but Swan Song is the best yet. I have had the pleasure of reading several good books recently but Swan Song was the first that had me fully immersed in the world. I was so engrossed that when reading no the bus to and from work, quite often I would look up and be surprised where I was. At one point I stayed on to the next stop past my house to finish the chapter (all hail Lord Alvin).

I won't summarize the book as that has been done very competently else where, but read this and you will not be disappointed. I loved the Stand but this exceeds it. I have read Under the Dome and the Passage this year as well. Both books I enjoyed, but Swan Song is the first I felt compelled to write a review of.

I will miss these characters but have no doubt they will stay with me for a very long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Post-apocalyptic rollercoaster, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Swan Song (Kindle Edition)
I stumbled across Robert McCammon about twenty five or thirty years ago when someone gave me Wolf's Hour, which I loved. It was like discovering Stephen King was a triplet and Dean Koontz and McCammon were his brothers. I read and loved Boy's Life and others and then, suddenly and for reasons I still don't fully understand, he disappeared from the bookshelves and it's been years since I read one of his novels.

The dawn of the e-reader has changed that and now, of course, much of McCammon's work is available again. Eager to reacquaint myself with him, I bought Swan Song.

The premise of the story is what happens to three different groups who survive total nuclear destruction and how one fearsome enemy affects all their lives and destinies.

I'm not going to go into plot details because to do so would be to risk spoiling the story, but at the centre of all the hope and despair stands one nine-year-old girl called Swan - a girl with a very special role to play in whatever future life awaits the survivors. Ranged against her are enemies whose own actions conspire, unwittingly in some cases, to destroy her and consequently cut the slender thread of hope that exists in a desolate new America. With her stand a few brave but ordinary men and women who understand that Swan represents a new beginning; and drawn inexorably to her through a chance discovery in the ruins of what was once Fifth Avenue is a New York bag lady with a tortured past.

These worlds collide in one final, terrible confrontation which will ultimately determine how - and if - man will survive to face a new dawn.

Many reviews - here and elsewhere - have compared this book to Stephen King's The Stand, but I think the two are markedly different, even though they occupy very similar territory. King's strength lies in his ability to breathe life into his characters and his environments. I think McCammon's lies in his ability to drive a narrative.

At 1300 pages, The Stand takes a myriad of interesting and disturbing diversions along the way. By contrast, and even though it weighs in at a little south of 900 pages, Swan Song is economic in description (it could be I missed it, but it wasn't until quite a way in that I realised one of the main characters is Black - not that it mattered at all, other than requiring a little bit of cerebral gymnastics to re-set my mental imaging!) but big on plot.

It's inevitable, of course, that within 900 pages some of the events will seem superfluous, but these really are at a bare minimum and the whole thing rockets along at quite a lick.

It gets four stars rather than five because, if I'm being totally honest, you can see the book improving as it gathers pace. It's almost as though even McCammon wasn't entirely sure how to get his characters moving in the first hundred pages or so. I also wasn't entirely convinced by McCammon's anti-hero. For me, he demonstrated a frailty in the face of adversity that didn't entirely gel with the aura of invincibility he's given in the early part of the book. But I'm being picky.

As a story, it's thought-provoking and as good an argument as I've seen for global nuclear disarmament. The wasteland that McCammon described is vivid and bleak and devoid of hope, save for the small bands of survivors who populate it. There is an almost religious dimension to the book as well. Whether deliberate or not - and only Robert McCammon knows for sure - the stand-off between good and evil has Biblical overtones - something that is quite subtle yet makes you think a bit more.

From a personal point of view, it was great to re-acquaint myself with McCammon and this was a stonking read which makes me eager for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a mute Swan, 10 May 2011
John Grimbaldeston (Preston, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
Thank you to Susan Kennedy, the ex-student who recommended this: it's not normally the sort of book I'd pick off the Amazon shelves, perhaps because I've taught "Lord of the Flies" for so many years and few post-apocalyptic dramas have that book's depth. This one has a touch of "Lord of the Flies" about it, with characters like Simon who embody a mystical sort of goodness, possibly Christian, possibly pantheist or Gaia-ist, if there is such a word, and characters who represent evil like the beast and the paratrooper on Golding's island. But while the symbolism adds a richness and means that the book can be read over again as new threads can be found, the story and the characters are strong enough to propel the reader onwards anyway. The ending has been criticised in other reviews, but I was thankful that characters I'd begun to care for found some peace, and given the turmoil of nuclear war, isn't a calmer hint of a new dawn an appropriate open ended 'conclusion'? I'll have a go at another by the author soon. Susan, recommendation please?

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 21 Oct. 2010
S. Parker "Susan" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
I have given this book four stars and to be honest this book had all the qualities that should warrant five stars. It is an excellent read, the characters are believable and I actually cared what happened to them. But, it is the ending that lets it down in my opinion.
This is an epic book in every sense of the word and can, at times make for very grim reading. The only issue I have is the way it ended. Obviously I cannot give too much away to those who have not read it, but I just felt that such an epic book deserved the epic ending. All the characters were in play, all roads had converged, and the scene was set for the final show down between good and evil. The final punch that made one sit back and say "wow". It never really came, rather that the titanic battle between opposite forces there was almost a damp squid type of ending.
Having said that, this book is a fantastic read, one which I went through in under a week and I could certainly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, if you like Stephen King, but a bit clichéd, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Swan Song (Kindle Edition)

You probably won't be so keen if you find it hard to suspend your disbelief of concepts such as the supernatural, fortune-telling, God, good versus evil, etc. Or if you don't like clichés.

If you think this is going to be a science fiction novel (like I did - as it's in the sci-fi category on Amazon!) then be warned - there's not much science in it (see 'concepts such as ...' above). An exception being the descriptions of nuclear war, which are excellently terrifying.

However, I enjoyed the story and mostly looked forward to picking up the book each night to resume reading. I must admit I was quite relieved to reach the end though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly the most influential book i have ever read., 13 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
Set in a post nuclear war world, only a few survivors remain. Scattered and leaderless, terrible times brings out the best in some, and the worse in others. This book focuses on three stories, and how they come to terms with this new world that is forced upon them. There is Sister, a former bag lady, converted into a reluctant leader and heroine, Josh and nine year old girl Swan, who has an amazing gift that makes her sought after, and Colneral Macklin, with his creepy evil sadistic sidekick, teenager Roland.
The reason this book affected me so was because it is so real, especially in today's volitile world, where the threat of nuclear war is more prominent. Maybe we should get the world leaders to read this book?
To conclude, a rich tapestry of real life, real people, fantasy and science fiction. A garuenteed good read from a fabulous author.

Swan Song
Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jun. 1987)
Used & New from: £4.83